Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them!

/ Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Keith came over with his blasting and gassing equipment. We used both methods and agree that gassing is better, although blasting is more fun.

What's needed: 1. Straight sulfur. Locally it comes in 50 lb. bags, with granules about 1/4 inch in diameter, maybe a little smaller. He had to order it at a local feed store, cost was $52. More than you'll use in a very long time, so share it with your neighbors and friends. 2. A sulfur dioxide respirator. He got his from a welding shop. Be sure it's rated for sulfur dioxide, the gas is nasty. 3. A weed burner & propane.

What you do: Find the hole in the mound, open it up a little to maybe 1.5-2" in diameter. Drop in about 2 heaping teaspoons of sulfur, light the torch and cook the sulfur to where it's brown and runny. You'll want a little roar from the torch to push the gas thru the tunnels. Soon after the SO2 starts cooking you'll see smoke coming from other mounds. Pay attention to the wind; you don't want to breath the stuff, even with the mask--it may not be 100% and the gas can irritate the eyes. And watch upwind, the smoke may be coming out of mounds behind you. Where we saw smoke coming out of the ground, Keith stepped on those spots to keep it in the tunnels and increase dispersal.

Be careful. About 10-20% of the population is hypersensitive to sulfur dioxide and it only takes 5-10 parts per million to cause symptoms. And it can irritate eyes and skin, so don't be casual with the stuff. Work on the upwind side of the hole and watch behind you.

The moles will be incapacitated with the first whiff and won't be able to block off the tunnel. They will probably get lethal doses pretty quick.

If your weeds or grass is dry, you may want to have a sprayer on hand to douse any fire that might get started.

Blasting: Keith blasted 4 or 5 tunnels. Once I felt a little thump under a foot, but it didn't amount to anything. I am sure it worked, but the equipment is spendy and the noise might disturb neighbors and you have a lot of stuff to buy and carry around--we used a wheelbarrow.

Henry showed Keith the sulfur method and Henry is kind of a carefree guy and doesn't use a mask. He caught a whiff of smoke and said his lungs were irritated for 2 weeks--so use a mask. Henry used the sulfur around our clubhouse where there were maybe 50 mounds and we were mole free for a few months--but they came back after awhile because we were surrounded by moles. So you gotta keep after them.

Blasting seems to be a little quicker. I didn't get a sense of how far the blast was effective. Henry says the gas will go as far as 50 feet, but we saw about 15 or 20 feet and maybe a little less with the blasting. But it may be effective for a longer distance than we saw.

So if you have a weed burner, all you need to gas them is the respirator and the sulfur and you are in business. A lot cheaper than the blaster.

/ Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them! #2  
Keith came over with his blasting and gassing equipment. We used both methods and agree that gassing is better, although blasting is more fun.

What's needed: 1. Straight sulfur. Locally it comes in 50 lb. bags, with granules about 1/4 inch in diameter, maybe a little smaller. He had to order it at a local feed store, cost was $52. More than you'll use in a very long time, so share it with your neighbors and friends. 2. A sulfur dioxide respirator. He got his from a welding shop. Be sure it's rated for sulfur dioxide, the gas is nasty. 3. A weed burner & propane.

What you do: Find the hole in the mound, open it up a little to maybe 1.5-2" in diameter. Drop in about 2 heaping teaspoons of sulfur, light the torch and cook the sulfur to where it's brown and runny. You'll want a little roar from the torch to push the gas thru the tunnels. Soon after the SO2 starts cooking you'll see smoke coming from other mounds. Pay attention to the wind; you don't want to breath the stuff, even with the mask--it may not be 100% and the gas can irritate the eyes. And watch upwind, the smoke may be coming out of mounds behind you. Where we saw smoke coming out of the ground, Keith stepped on those spots to keep it in the tunnels and increase dispersal.

Be careful. About 10-20% of the population is hypersensitive to sulfur dioxide and it only takes 5-10 parts per million to cause symptoms. And it can irritate eyes and skin, so don't be casual with the stuff. Work on the upwind side of the hole and watch behind you.

The moles will be incapacitated with the first whiff and won't be able to block off the tunnel. They will probably get lethal doses pretty quick.

If your weeds or grass is dry, you may want to have a sprayer on hand to douse any fire that might get started.

Blasting: Keith blasted 4 or 5 tunnels. Once I felt a little thump under a foot, but it didn't amount to anything. I am sure it worked, but the equipment is spendy and the noise might disturb neighbors and you have a lot of stuff to buy and carry around--we used a wheelbarrow.

Henry showed Keith the sulfur method and Henry is kind of a carefree guy and doesn't use a mask. He caught a whiff of smoke and said his lungs were irritated for 2 weeks--so use a mask. Henry used the sulfur around our clubhouse where there were maybe 50 mounds and we were mole free for a few months--but they came back after awhile because we were surrounded by moles. So you gotta keep after them.

Blasting seems to be a little quicker. I didn't get a sense of how far the blast was effective. Henry says the gas will go as far as 50 feet, but we saw about 15 or 20 feet and maybe a little less with the blasting. But it may be effective for a longer distance than we saw.

So if you have a weed burner, all you need to gas them is the respirator and the sulfur and you are in business. A lot cheaper than the blaster.

Since moles have twice the amount of red blood cells as humans, I doubt they will be incapacitated by the first whif. My guess is they will turn and run far faster than you think. I doubt it is killing them. It is only making the tunnels inhospitible to them. They will go elsewhere, which is what you want, but they will come back as soon as the food supply (worms, insect grubs, etc...) comes back. The only tried and true method is to trap them out and keep trapping them until there are not more.

See www.themoleman.com for the best practices on mole control.

/ Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them!
Well, Moss, I have tried trapping and have met with little success. Yes, I have trapped in the tunnels. In the time it takes to set one trap, I can gas 5 or 6 mounds, each time seeing smoke coming from 3 or 4 nearby mounds. And with the gas, I don't have to dig up my lawn, making just as much of an impact as the moles.

Keith and Henry have been successful with gassing them.

To check for active areas, I have stuck a hose down the holes in the center of the mounds and overnight dirt gets pushed up again, if they are in the area. If you are right, I should see some evidence in a couple days that they are still alive.

The LC50 (lethal concentration that kills half the population) of SO2 for rats is 2520ppm. If you double that for moles (assuming red blood cells are affected by SO2), it still only takes a concentration of 0.5% to kill half the population. When we see smoke coming out of the ground from tunnels and mounds, I suspect the concentration is much higher than one half of one percent.

I'll report back in a few days.

/ Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them! #4  
Wasn't there a John Belushi movie about this?

/ Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them! #6  

Attachments

• murray_caddyshack.jpg
    murray_caddyshack.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 205
   / Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them! #7  
Kill the grubs and insects and the mole population will move on. Far SAFER and less expensive. You may have to treat the sod twice (spring and late fall) the first year. Then monitor your sod the next season.:)

/ Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them! #8  
Kill the grubs and insects and the mole population will move on. Far SAFER and less expensive. You may have to treat the sod twice (spring and late fall) the first year. Then monitor your sod the next season.:)
That may be the RIGHT way, but I prefer my Dad's way -
Light firecracker
Drop in hole
Cover hole w/ booted foot.

/ Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them!
30 hours later, zero evidence of mole activity in or near the areas we hit with either gas or blasting.

/ Mole murdering--forget blasting, gas them! #10  
My mistake, Bill Murray. I identify closely with both of them when I'm working on an outdoors project.:D