Moly grease

/ Moly grease #1  

Goose1776

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey 2706e
Is anyone using Moly grease on their PT machines?
I had asked Terry, and he said any quality lithium grease would be fine.
But i have a case of moly from Tractor supply just sitting in the shop..

/ Moly grease #2  
Yes, I have used moly grease for many years, largely out of concern for the rollover on the FEL, and the oscillating center joint. While I think any high pressure grease would work based on Terry's advice, I have always used XP, "extreme pressure", type greases.

All the best,

Peter

/ Moly grease #3  
I'm using tribol molub alloy now and I bought a box of Mystik JT6 w/moly which is lithium based.

/ Moly grease #5  
Moly is really good for sliding surfaces and sleeve type bearings. I have read it is not good for ball or roller bearings. It is so slick they don't roll properly, they just slide in place and slide instead of rolling.

/ Moly grease #6  
Lately, I have been using Lubriplate 1200-2 Lithium Grease. I had been looking for quite a while after seeing many praise it and finally got a very good deal on 3 cases. It is thinner than what I have been using (Mobil 1, Marine, etc) but it does not seem to separate like many of the others and so far it does not harden up in the pivot points like the others tended to do. That makes me think it does a better job of protecting these surfaces. But I only have been using it for a few months so we will see how it does.

Ken

/ Moly grease #7  
Lubriplate 1200-2 is one of my favorite greases, but I didn't ever think to use it on high pressure / shock load / slow movement surfaces, but Lubriplate apparently rates it for shock loads. I never knew. For what it is worth, I have never had it separate or harden up.

I will be interested to see how you like it on your tractor.

All the best,

Peter

/ Moly grease #8  
Moly is really good for sliding surfaces and sleeve type bearings. I have read it is not good for ball or roller bearings. It is so slick they don't roll properly, they just slide in place and slide instead of rolling.
This... Moly is best for non-roller bearing surfaces...like on the arm of an excavator for example. Other greases are best for roller bearings, like found in the mower spindles for example.