Monsanto

/ Monsanto #51  
Darn companies who want to continue to make a profit and continue to employee people. What's this world coming to? :confused:

Nothing wrong with free enterprise, as long as it is practiced ethically. It's not about Monsanto making a profit. It's the methods employed that are the concern.

ABSOLUTELY agree, sseelhoff!! I am a complete Libertarian, free market guy, but that only works with ethics. Monsanto is known for suing farmers for pirating their GMO crops when a farmer is actually planting non-Monsanto seed. Anyone that knows anything about pollination knows that crops will cross-pollinate in the wind. So, if you have two corn fields next to each other, the wind will pollinate them across the two fields. Monsanto will test the corn in a non-Monsanto corn (because a lot of the farmers will put a sign along the road letting you know whose seeds they're planting) and will find Monsanto genes in that corn due to the cross-pollination. Then they sue the farmer and win.

There's a great documentary that I saw on PBS about this. Pretty scary what they've done to a lot of farmers that are trying to stay with heirloom crops. Once Monsanto brings any sort of legal action against a small farmer (and what farmer isn't small compared to Monsanto?), the farmer has pretty much no choice except to roll over.

/ Monsanto #52  
Don't worry about poor widdle Monsanto...according to the MIT article they do seem to be making plenty of profits

"Today Monsanto has revenues of about $9 billion a year from GM seeds for crops that produce the insect toxin Bt or resist the weed killer Roundup. GM corn, soy, and cotton plants now spread across 180 million hectares.

And it has generated a public controversy just as vast...."

/ Monsanto #53  
Stupid can't be fixed (copyright Ron White). Rather it is to be celebrated during the annual Darwin Awards.
I would think death fixes stupid. ... Is he dead yet?