Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP
I'm glad you found your fix. I know that from time to time with my 4940C, the electric starter will come on even when the engine is running and has been running. Its crazy, you can be mowing or dirt working and then all of a sudden you'll hear the starter come on and start to grind. I havent found out why this happening, but I do know when it happens I'll turn the key to the start position and then release it and it will quit trying to start. I bet I have a bad switch also.

Yours is doing the opposite of mine starting when its already started and mine shutting off when not wanting it to.

Is your tractor still under warranty?? I would get it replaced if it is before you have to replace the starter. Switch is very easy to replace 2 wires to disconnect and take the switch out of the plastic dash panel.

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP #12  
I still have warranty till 06-09. It doesn't do it very often, I'd say maybe twice a year it will do it. It just did it to me last week when I was splitting some fire wood using my 3 point log splitter. I'll take it to my dealer in a few weeks and let them find the problem. The sad thing is that my dealer no longer sale Montana but they still service them.

/ Montana 4340C Problem - need help ASAP #13  
I'm glad you solved it, the tractor told you what was wrong- when you hit the switch and nothing happened it was electrical.
A basic starting system (and the Montana's is basic) the switch provides power to keep the eng running in the on position, and in the start position it sends power to the small wire on the starter. and powers the running side
So, basic no start diagnostics (for future references)
eng does not turn over- check for 12v on the small wire of the starter with the key in start position.
No 12v, add 12 v to the small wire with the eng in run position (all safety features and brakes applied) the eng should turn over. if it starts but dies when the wire is removed, then power is missing from the running side of the switch
the fact that you saw it not turn over AND die in the run position told me it was a switch ;). it's no different than a car.