Montana 4540 broken tach cable

/ Montana 4540 broken tach cable #1  

xxxsandman

Silver Member
Well at a ripe young age of 178 hours my Montana 4540's tach quit working. I did some investigating and the tach cable broke about 4 inches from the end connected to the engine. Not a big deal, but with on 178 hours???? Maybe I got a lemon. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'll call Montana Monday and have them send me a new tach cable.

The list continue to grow.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

James

/ Montana 4540 broken tach cable #2  
I know this will never get done but it's in the manual to clean and lube the cable every 100 hours. I've only seen one broken cable and it was clearly a routing problem that stressed the cable and broke it near the dash. Use extra care when lowering the dash in place to make sure it doesn't get kinked and pull it through the engine side of the dash to make sure there is no slack to cause trouble.

The cable can be pulled out of the liner where it connects to the engine so it's a simple deal to clean it and lube and will only take a few minutes.

Ken

/ Montana 4540 broken tach cable #3  
I am cursed. I read your post and my 3040 cable went out the next day. I had just checked it and made sure there were not crimps and I do not believe lubrication was a problem since I only have 35 hours on the tractor. Bummer!