Monument ideas needed for soldier KIA in Iraq

/ Monument ideas needed for soldier KIA in Iraq #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Cpl Loveless was a medic serving in Iraq and was awarded a bronze star for his efforts in saving several lives, including those of the enemy. In particular, he was cited for saving the life on an enemy sniper. A few days later aother sniper got him.

Our club has arranged for a tree to be planted in his memory at our new local library. We need ideas for some kind of monument to go with the tree to explain that the tree was planted in his memory. It is a sign of the times, that the monument needs to be vandal resistant.

So far, we have two ideas: 1. A bronze plaque embedded in concrete or epoxied to a stone. 2. A large stone with the message engraved in it.

You guys have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Richard Scott
Estacada, Oregon

/ Monument ideas needed for soldier KIA in Iraq #2  
I have seen nice park benches near trees in memorials such as this.

I'm sure whatever you do will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

/ Monument ideas needed for soldier KIA in Iraq #3  
Richard,

The tree is a great idea.

The plaque needs to be at eye level or there abouts. A large stone would work. Make it substantial. Plaques at ground level get ignored, grown over and buried. Make it heavy and buried deep.

It does not happen often but we just had hundreds of graves desicrated at a couple church cemetaries. The thugs knocked over and/or broke hundreds of headstones in some old family cemetaries. Since Cpl Loveless is a war hero I would not be surprised in this day and age for someone to go after his monument.

Sad isn't it....

Later,
Dan