More Best Buy

/ More Best Buy #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
I wanted to get two of the grandkids computers for Christmas....well, actually, SWMBO wanted me to, and I figure it's a bit early at least for one of them. Anyway, the family dynamics meant I "wanted" to buy two computers. I refuse to do the Black Friday thing in person, and I didn't see anything all that exciting in the so called cyber Black Friday offerings, but I did find what looked like a decent deal on an Asus computer at BB. On line the model I wanted, X54H-BD1BH, was said to be available at my local store.

I went by there Tuesday, saw the computer and decided it was OK. I wasn't exactly swamped by sales clerks, and that was fine by me, so I asked for help and one of the geeks was dispatched to aid me. There were no boxes under the display unit, so he looked up their inventory, which he said indicated there were two units available, but that both were currently being "optimized". Now, I work at a university and can ask a friendly IT person for help with at least instructions for any kind of optimization I might want to do, so I wasn't interested in paying them for that. I didn't even ask what the extra charge would be....I figured maybe $25 or so....but the clerk offered to order them for me online. Good deal.

The next day I got an e-mail that the model I wanted was back-ordered and it would be 1-2 weeks before it might be shipped. That worried me, so I went back to BB to see how much extra they charged for their "optimization", in case I might decide to just pay the extra for the two they had. They want over $100 for their "full optimization", which includes a system back-up disk and lord knows what else. So, the price would have gone from $329 to about $429. Fortunately, the kid helping me this time also checked their inventory, and lo and behold he found they had five units! It took him about half an hour to find two un-optimized units, but I finally got them. Did they get more stock one day after my first visit? Could be. Or it could be that they really, really want that extra money for "optimizing" the computers.

So, now I will be "optimizing" the computers myself. I haven't fired them up yet, but there doesn't seem to be much software installed anyway. I can get an academic discount on most anything I might want to put on them, which makes Office really cheap. Or I might decide to load OpenOffice so the kids have a word processor. Our IT department recommends MicroSoft Security Essentials, too.

I think I'll buy myself a nice bottle of something with the $200 I save by doing the "optimization" myself.

Chuck

/ More Best Buy #2  
Sounds like quite an experience in how to get more money out of your wallet. I got an ACER D255 for $179 at China Town(walmart) Watch movies, listen to music and surf, when i'm traveling and it's really small. Hope the kids like the present and you enjoy the bottle. :thumbsup:

/ More Best Buy #5  
Weird you posted this today. I took the wife up to look a monitors (ISP) and they tried the "Sell him a PC thing" since I was in that department. They didn't have anything close to what I'm building so I just listened to his "spill" Yep $100 for the optimization, He said "It gets ride of the bloatware" I could do that myself!! Then he says (by this time there are 2 store reps, a double team if you will) I asked him "whats the piont" and he replies, "people don't like the Bloatware" so I just said " seems like you should sell a bloat-less PC then"
All about the money. I remember when their stores 1st opened, you could buy Motherboards, CPUs and other peripherals, now they only sell the higher markup items.

/ More Best Buy
I think I just got lucky with that last kid. He was younger than many of the others there and maybe he hadn't gotten the company line figured out. He did try to sell me their warranty, and since these computers are going to grade school kids that might even have made sense, but he didn't try a hard sell. I thought about praising him to his supervisor, but if I had said why I thought he was doing a good job he might have been fired!

Chuck

/ More Best Buy #7  
I avoid Best Buys as much as possible. Long list of reasons but generally they are just too expensive.

But they can be convenient for me so I go there as a last resort.

I needed a new hard drive so I researched. Shocked but Best Buy had the best price! I went to the store on Cyber Monday expecting the worst but the store was not that busy. I had ordered and payed online but I HAD to go to the store for pickup. They would not ship. :eek:

No biggy. I get in line and the person with the employee had a major problem that required a phone call. We stood there for awhile but eventually other employees opened up other registers and the line cleared quickly.

Twas not that bad. And a good price. Still amazed.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Would much rather have had it shipped to the house but I did save $20-30. :D

Later,
Dan

/ More Best Buy
I've now bought four laptops from BB. The first two were Dells and I couldn't find a better deal, even from our university Dell plan. I did a fair amount of looking and couldn't find a really better deal than I got on these two Asus computers, though I admit I don't know all the ins and outs to compare different components like CPUs and such. These have a decent Intel dual core with 2.1 GHz, and most of the computers I looked at in the price range had slower AMD processors, less RAM, or both. I don't know how the 1.65 GHz AMD compares to the 2.1 GHz AMD, though I suspect simply using the clock speed is not a complete comparison. Anyway, since I now have these boxes I am absolutely sure I will see much better deals wherever I look. That is a rule, isn't it?

Chuck

/ More Best Buy #9  
Sounds like best buys "optimization" is the undercoating of computer sales:laughing:

/ More Best Buy #10  
I bought my wife a azus early this year. I had to take it back a couple days later, it was doa. They replaced it, but there were 2 other folks there getting theirs replaced.