More BX radiator chaff discussion/questions...

/ More BX radiator chaff discussion/questions... #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
Hello all,

I recently bought a new BX (2370) and quickly discovered the "chaff in radiator" issues.

I have been keeping the radiator clean by blowing from back (front) and/or vacuuming from behind the battery. I have read a lot of threads talking about how the BX is susceptible to this due to it being so close to the ground and mower deck. It appears that there may be some "leaks" that allow chaff, dirt, etc. to bypass one or both of the screens. Has anyone dug deeper into this and figured out exactly where the chaff travels?

At this point, I am not sure if:

The chaff is traveling THROUGH one or both of the screens -or-
The chaff is traveling up through the bottom, by passing the first pre-screen and going THROUGH the radiator screen -or-
The chaff is bypassing both screens because it is getting sucked behind/under/etc. the screens.

My goal is to discover the "leak" and try to plug it as best as I can.

I'm still not sure if the chaff is bypassing the screens or if it is just small enough to go through the them. The position of the chaff in the radiator (centered, a couple of inches up) makes me think it is actually going through the radiator screen. Maybe there is a leak in the battery compartment that is allowing the chaff to get sucked up -- bypassing the pre-screen (in front of legs) -- and going through the radiator screen.

Rob

/ More BX radiator chaff discussion/questions... #2  
I have never had this issue with my BX. At the bottom of the screen in front of the radiator there should be some foam to form a seal and keep the airflow in the right direction.

/ More BX radiator chaff discussion/questions...
If you search the web for BX radiator chaff you will find the issues. Basically, the radiator get chaff in it after a couple of hours of use. The chaff is getting through somehow. Seems to be a BX issue with the low-to-the-ground proximity to the MMM.

/ More BX radiator chaff discussion/questions... #4  
I get some cottonwood seeds in there but not and clippings or leaves. The screen on my BX2200 slides up against the radiator and no room for anything to get by. The foam on the side seals between the frame and the battery box. The primary screen gets a lot of stuff when I am working in the brush.

Could the seal between the frame and radiator have come loose?