More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH #1  

Dave1953

Silver Member
Tractor
5000 Ford, 2019 New Holland Boomer 55 Cab, 935GBH BH
I have a family member who has a tree leaning over his house that needs cut down and wants me to use my tractor to push it away from the house while he cuts. Is there anyone out there that has expierence pushing over trees with a tractor and which attachment will give me more pushing power fully extended at maximum height, the loader ot BH. I know I am the one ultimately responsible so any answer is "off the record" Twould be nice to somehow rig up scales to push against up there but that's not practicle. Any input will be appreciated and will be taken under advisment.

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH #3  
A lot to go wrong here. For starters if your bucket is not high enough it's possible the tree will just go over the bucket and tractor when cut. If you decide to help despite the suggestions here not to I would see if it's possible to use the tractor to pull the tree away instead of pushing with a long enough line but again a lot of possible problems and safety issues if you don't think this through.

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH #4  
'nuff said
cvphoto17343.jpg

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH #5  
I have both pushed trees and have pulled trees with a long cable/chain.

They can both be effective, or can both fail miserably.

Pushing up high....if you don't have enough push....or if the tree breaks loose at the stump before it's "over center" it can come back on you. Or you can force a barber chair like in nings pic.

With a chain and pulling....if you don't have enough weight and traction....it can go the wrong way and drag the tractor with it.

No two trees are alike. Too many variables. So without seeing the tree, how big it is, how much lean, dead or green, etc.....it's hard to advise.

If you do decide to take this on.....I'd make it explicitly clear that that you are only there to be an equipment operator and do exactly what is asked. And any result that happens you are not liable for and have them sign a waiver.

Is saving a grand for a professional tree removal really worth the potential $30,000 damage to a house?

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH #6  
I think using a come-along to pull, anchored by a solid tree over there ---> is a better idea in general than trying to push with a tractor or pull with a truck or tractor.
Personally I draw the line at dropping trees myself that have any chance of hitting a structure I value - not worth the stress, especially since that stress makes it more likely you'll screw something up and get hurt.

Let a pro handle this job - they've got the equipment, experience, and insurance.

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH
I think using a come-along to pull, anchored by a solid tree over there ---> is a better idea in general than trying to push with a tractor or pull with a truck or tractor.
Personally I draw the line at dropping trees myself that have any chance of hitting a structure I value - not worth the stress, especially since that stress makes it more likely you'll screw something up and get hurt.

Let a pro handle this job - they've got the equipment, experience, and insurance.
This family member is a cheapskate and wouldn't pay 5.00 for a tree service. I had 18 trees in my front yard years ago that a cousin pushed over with a backhoe as I cut them so I do have some expierence with this but maybe I missed it but I don't remember even 1 responder who actually answeres my question on which one had more pushing power fully extended. This is a skinny pine tree so I don't anticipate any trouble. I guess I will have to use my own instincts as to which one pushes better. I have felled hundreds of trees and can usually throw them right where I want them to fall but I know there's always a first time.

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH #8  
welp you get what you pay for around here
and apparently nobody wants to give an answer which may contribute to a potential disaster.

Maybe start a new thread and ask the same question in the abstract, people here like to pontificate about hypotheticals almost endlessly :)

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH #9  
No one answered because it is an impossible question to answer. Too many variables with the backhoe.

Even the loader has variables that can make it a crapshooot.

IF the loader bucket is curled too far back....as the tree starts to go over the tractor bucket will simply ride up the tree...then the only "effort" you are imposing on the tree is the weight of the tractors front end. Which wont be much if the backhoe is still on.

The backhoe.....how are you pushing....with the backhoes hydraulics? OR raising it all the way like the loader and backing into the tree?

A backhoe all the way raised and dipper full extend has little push. A lower height and combination of lowering the boom while extending the dipper has ALOT of push force. (think like you are pushing a spoil pile back from the machine). But this is at a lower height. So the backhoe is capable of more push....but the overall effect of leverage is it really more on the tree?

The "most" force is gonna be the backhoe pulling.

And since the loader only goes so high....get a chain or cable HIGHER than the loader can go for more leverage. Long enough to get away from the tree. Plant the outriggers and pull with the backhoe hydraulics. That will be the greatest force.

BUT, you have still yet to answer the simple question of how big the tree is. Sorry...."skinny little pine tree" doesnt qualify as an answer. IF this is a 15' tall 6" diameter white pine a SCUT could push it over and you are here with a big 55hp utility with a backhoe asking questions?

/ More high pushing power on Boomer 55, 260TLA loader or 935GBH BH #10  
This family member is a cheapskate and wouldn't pay 5.00 for a tree service. I had 18 trees in my front yard years ago that a cousin pushed over with a backhoe as I cut them so I do have some expierence with this but maybe I missed it but I don't remember even 1 responder who actually answeres my question on which one had more pushing power fully extended. This is a skinny pine tree so I don't anticipate any trouble. I guess I will have to use my own instincts as to which one pushes better. I have felled hundreds of trees and can usually throw them right where I want them to fall but I know there's always a first time.
I also have a 2019 Boomer 55 with 260TLA and Woods BH100 (10' backhoe). All together it weighs about 8500 lbs. I've never had a problem with a tree (12" - 30" diameter) using the weight of the tractor pulling trees over. I attach ropes and straps all being at least 30,000 lbs tensile strength half to two thirds the way up the tree. I use a throw bag to get string up in the tree first, then pull up 3/8" rope and then finally the big 30K 3/4" rope. If its a big tree I'll shallow notch it and then slowly cut backside with tension on big rope from driver in tractor. Always leave a big hinge on the stump and once the tractor starts to straighten the tree up I stop cutting a get out of there as the tractor floors it and pulls it over. I've test pulled on some 12" dia 60' tall pines and pulled them over without even cutting them. That tractor has a lot of power. Good Luck