Moss Growing On The Roof,,

/ Moss Growing On The Roof,, #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
For a couple years, I had noticed moss growing in the roof of our house,,but, I just avoided thinking about it,,, :confused2:

Well, last year, we received a RECORD amount of rain,, and the moss grew more than ever,,,

I looked up possible fixes,, most recommended getting on the roof, with a brush, some sort of cleaner,, and a hose,,,
THAT was just too labor intensive for me,,,

The other answer I had seen on line was putting copper sheet under the shingles near the top of the roof,,
the copper dissolves minute amounts during each rain,, and when it washes down the roof, the copper kills the moss,,,:thumbsup:

I have the thin copper sheet,, BUT,, the wife said NO WAY was I going to get on the roof and start installing the material,,,:confused:

So, last September,, I ordered a small bottle of copper fungicide

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052NL4FK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mixed up 2 gallons of water, some Dawn dish-washing liquid , and some copper fungicide

I sprayed the mix on the roof,, then promply forgot about it,,, :laughing:

Well, I looked at the roof today,, about 6 months later,, and,, surprisingly,, the moss is GONE!! :cool2:

G8m8Bqh.jpg

The quarter sized light areas are where the moss had been,,

uLMiNLq.jpg

I think there are a few minor spots of remaining dead moss,, but, that does not bother me,,

So, I consider the single copper application a 100% success,,, :thumbsup: I will reapply the same mix in about 3 months,, I have plenty remaining.

The same copper mix is supposed to remove the black that occurs on this type of roof,,
the black is from algae growing on the roof,, the algae spores are carried to the roof by the wind,,

So, do you use any magic concoctions that keep the house looking nice??

/ Moss Growing On The Roof,, #2  
My neighbor inherited his father in law's Cadillac, the white vinyl roof was moldy black. He tried everything, nothing worked until he discovered this.
WalMart sells it in sporting goods section.20190330_182733.jpeg20190330_182729.jpeg20190330_181139.jpeg20190330_181150.jpeg

/ Moss Growing On The Roof,, #3  
I have made up a weak solution of copper sulphate and water to kill it, probably a lot cheaper than the prepared mixture, didn't add detergent but it does make sense to use it as a wetting agent.
Don't use it if you are using the roof for water collection for home use.
Can't recall what the crystals cost but I think it was about $30kg and you don't use a lot of it.
Used it on the horse float GRP roof, polycarbonate clear panels on our verandah and house tiled roof.

/ Moss Growing On The Roof,, #5  
After 30 years I had new shingles put on the roof. The new shingles have copper mixed in with the shingle material somehow. There is no moss growing on these new shingles.