mott 72HD flail mower idler

/ mott 72HD flail mower idler
It is much better than before when the pulleys weren't aligned. I realise I don't have 100hp to run it but it is on a 30hp tractor with 22 pto hp. By slow I mean in low range I move forward about a foot and I have to stop and let the mower catch up them I repeat. move one foot and stop.

Now with the pulleys aligned I can actually keep moving slowly without stopping every foot. I think a new belt will improve it even more because the mower has sat for a long time so the belt that is on it has developed a certain memory of how it has been for the last few years.

/ mott 72HD flail mower idler
Just tried out the mower with a new belt and a new tension spring and the difference is night and day. I can go full speed in low in fairly tall grass now taking a full width of cut and there is no flopping around of the idler anymore. I think the belt was probably worn out and it may have been bottoming out on the bottom of the pulley grooves instead of on the sides. also like I mentioned before the belt had a kink in it from sitting so long with the pulleys out of alignment.

now all i need to do is put on the fresh set of blades I bought and it will be ready to go even though it seems to work fine with the old rounded off blades that are on it.