Mowing Mounting 60" belly mower on 5234d

/ Mounting 60" belly mower on 5234d #1  

cityboydc

Tractor
cub cadet 5234d
Hello all. I have never owned a tractor before, and purchased a 2005 5234D with a ton of attachments. While removing the front end loader was somewhat intuitive, I have to admit I am clueless as to how to install the 60" belly mower. I have all the manuals (I think), and the mower manuals show how to raise and lower the cutting height, mowing on slopes, etc., but do not show how to mount the mower deck in the first place. It is sharpened and greased with a new belt, ready to mow if I could figure out how to mount it!! Is there a manual I am missing, or is this some rite of passage for owning a tractor. Any help would be appreciated.

cityboydc

/ Mounting 60" belly mower on 5234d #2  
The mower mounting covered in the lift kit manual. There are two different lift kits depending on your date code. After figuring out which one you have you can download the manual for it from here Operator's Manuals

MowerMounting.jpg

/ Mounting 60" belly mower on 5234d
OldMachinist:

Thank you for your reply. I have every manual except that one. I was finally able to figure it out once I raised and lowered the hitch and got underneath the tractor. With the hitch down, the attachment bars came into view underneath the tractor, and at that point it was painfully obvious. The mechanic at the dealership (about the age of my son - mid 20's) was not familiar with that model and did not know. Sometimes, you just need an old machinist!! This episode, pursued in this manner, ensures that I will never forget how to do this.

The tractor was a good deal, in very good shape with about 200 hours on it and a slew of attachments, so it was hard to pass up. As a 2005 model, hopefully it will not develop the transmission problems that the 2004 model is infamous for. Time will tell. Thanks again for your help.

cityboydc

/ Mounting 60" belly mower on 5234d #4  
OldMachinist:
As a 2005 model, hopefully it will not develop the transmission problems that the 2004 model is infamous for.
cityboydc
Mine is a 2005 model 5234DE, trans went out at 500 hrs. I don't think they ever fixed the problem with the Hydro-gear trans. Keep in mind a web site called M&D for replacements. Much cheaper than rebuilding one.
Higgins

/ Mounting 60" belly mower on 5234d
MrHiggins:

Mine is a 2005 5234DE as well. M&D as an internet search brought up M&D Mowers in Ohio, who appear to have every part ever made by anybody; is that who you purchased your tranny from? Also, if I may ask the price of the replacement versus the price of the rebuild? I believe that I have the mechanical ability to replace a transmission but not to rebuild one. I would rather spend a day or two replacing than wait weeks to have it rebuilt.

Someone on this forum opined that the transmission issue affected only the 4WD; that if you left it in 2WD the gears that are at risk are not affected, and the transmission would last; does that make sense?

I used it a few days ago for the first time, and was pleased with its performance. With the 60" deck, it mowed my 2.5 acres of flat to 15 degree hill with ease, in 2WD. I wonder if the issues with the transmission arise out of hard use or arise out of poor engineering, as some say that they have had no problems. Either way, I hope I get more than one mowing out of it.

cityboydc

/ Mounting 60" belly mower on 5234d #6  
Hi CBDC,

I just sold a 5252, the gas version of the 5000 series.
The transmission failed at 350 hours.

The 5252 is a two wheel drive only model, with the same 60" deck.
It was an awesome mower, comfortable, pretty good on gas, mowed effortlessly.

If you have a differential lock, read the owners manual regarding its use, it should not be engaged "on the fly"

Curt

/ Mounting 60" belly mower on 5234d #7  
MrHiggins:

Mine is a 2005 5234DE as well. M&D as an internet search brought up M&D Mowers in Ohio, who appear to have every part ever made by anybody; is that who you purchased your tranny from? Also, if I may ask the price of the replacement versus the price of the rebuild? I believe that I have the mechanical ability to replace a transmission but not to rebuild one. I would rather spend a day or two replacing than wait weeks to have it rebuilt.

Someone on this forum opined that the transmission issue affected only the 4WD; that if you left it in 2WD the gears that are at risk are not affected, and the transmission would last; does that make sense?
cityboydc

Unfortunately, I didn't know about M&D when my trans went out. I paid my dealer to repair mine. Also, the front hubs were leaking badly too, so had them repaired. Total bill came to almost $3,000. It was also the middle of winter so could not do the work myself. Last time I looked at M&D a new trans was about $800. A lot of labor to get the trans. out & in but could have saved a lot of $$$ with M&D.
WARNING: Be sure to look at the hydraulic line routing near the 3-point lift & 4-wheel drive levers. My lever rubbed a hole in the line and I lost most of my fluid one day when roto-tilling. You can't actually see it, so be sure to feel the line with your hand to see if it is rubbing. I was at the dealer one day and he had a used 5234 he had just taken in trade, that one was also rubbed and just about ready to blow. I had to have a new line made and re-routed it away from the levers on that side.
Good Luck with your Cub.
MrHiggins