Mounting Cat 2 implements on Boomer 55

/ Mounting Cat 2 implements on Boomer 55 #1  

Dave1953

Silver Member
Tractor
5000 Ford, 2019 New Holland Boomer 55 Cab, 935GBH BH
I have a 2019 model Boomer 55 that has the standard Cat 1 hitch. I have never put an implement on the rear as I ordered it new with a 935 GBH backhoe and have never taken it off. I also have a 5000 Ford with Cat 2 hitch that I have bushogged for 30 years with the same rotary cutter. I would like to use the rotary cutter on the 55 Boomer and take advantage of the cab and air conditioning if the lift arms will spread out wide enough to mount it. I realize I would have to put Cat 1 mounting pins on the rotary cutter so the question is does anyone know if the lift arms will spread out far enough to mount a Cat 2 implement. I know I could take the backhoe off and try it myself but I would rather not do that of the cat 2 implement won't mount on it anyway. Possibly someone with a Boomer 45, 50 or 55 could measure how far their lift arms will spread. Thanks in advance.

/ Mounting Cat 2 implements on Boomer 55 #2  
No direct experience with that tractor....but I have yet to see a 30+ HP tractor that wouldn't spread wide enough.

And even if it wont....since you have to replace the pins anyway....you can point them inwards instead of outwards and problem solved.

Its usually only the really small compact tractors that wont spread wide enough. Like SCUT's. But you wouldnt want to run a Cat 2 implement on them anyway

/ Mounting Cat 2 implements on Boomer 55 #3  
And even if it wont....since you have to replace the pins anyway....you can point them inwards instead of outwards and problem solved.
This is also what I would do.

/ Mounting Cat 2 implements on Boomer 55 #4  
Cat 1 is 28" wide, Cat 2 is 34" wide. You are talking about 3" wider on each side for the Cat 2 hitch spread. Like was said, put the pins on the inside and it should work. Here is a picture of one from Tractorhouse showing how wide it will spread. My only concern with going wider would be contact with the tires while swinging in a turn.

1688735722596.png

Last edited:
   / Mounting Cat 2 implements on Boomer 55
No direct experience with that tractor....but I have yet to see a 30+ HP tractor that wouldn't spread wide enough.

Its usually only the really small compact tractors that wont spread wide enough. Like SCUT's. But you wouldnt want to run a Cat 2 implement on them anyway
Now that I read your post I feel confident it will go on. I don't know why they didn't put a cat 2 on my 55 HP Boomer. I used to have a 30 couple HP tractor that had a Cat 2 hitch from the factory. Thanks for the reply.

/ Mounting Cat 2 implements on Boomer 55 #6  
Now that I read your post I feel confident it will go on. I don't know why they didn't put a cat 2 on my 55 HP Boomer. I used to have a 30 couple HP tractor that had a Cat 2 hitch from the factory. Thanks for the reply.
50-60 is about the new norm when they switch.

But hard to compare tractors just off HP. Because they are putting higher HP engines in smaller machines now.....and also de-tuning larger machines for less HP.

Example....Deere 4-series (compact utility) pushes well north of 60hp and the 5-series bottom end is 45hp.

Or a SCUT bota BX pushing 25hp.....as well as much larger L-series also being 25HP.

So 55hp....probably split 50/50 whether they are cat 1 or 2. But I think all tractors in that range can go either way with either swapping pins or using bushings. So don't really matter either way