Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer
Now we're talkin!

Wouldn't want to do it in poor conditions. I'm pretty sure I can get it down (in my case) to only forest roads. 5 miles of wide roade then some narrow possibly rough roads.

Well I bought a couple containers and paid $700 to transport 3 1/2 hours. They said $500 first but when I showed them pics of the forest roads they raised it to $700. They said "flat rate" so I said "OK". Note that they had the option to deliver on two separate rollbacks but they did not check with me. I just assumed that the 7 pages of detailed annotated Google images was doing my part.

486000d1477508940-move-20ft-ocean-container-car-container_delivery-jpg

The containers arrived on a double (40 ft. trailer, 18 wheeler, full size Kenworth tractor), and the driver looked so young I asked him how long he'd been driving. He said "since July". Hmmmm, subtract that from September.....that's 2 months. So the trucking company sends this poor kid out into the woods. He got stuck 7 times. I was surprised at most of them, in hindsight. Often due to the drive wheels left the packed roadway. But it was a long rig. It took 9 1/2 hours and I had to pull on it with my pickup twice. Trailer had movable axles (to shorten like 4 feet or more for maneuverability) by hydraulics. How he got unstuck was to lock the trailer wheels and then shove the truck forward with the trailer like an inchworm.

But anyway he got the containers placed exactly where I wanted them. Then he got stuck again turning around instead of backing out (to save time). If he would have backed out at least it was still daylight. With no weight on the trailer (to push the truck with) it took the longest, 2 hours and a lot of effort, finally departing in full darkness. During the last episode his dispatch called to ask what was taking so long. It was now almost dark. I asked the kid what he told them, he replied rather sternly "I TOLD THEM I'D FIGGER IT OUT!". Sounds like he got chewed on. He never lost his head, actually seemed truly interested, kinda like a 4-wheeler type trying to learn what his truck will do, except he was not hard on the eqpt. I was pretty impressed, this kids gonna be good. He got experience that many will never get. I was thinking how silly it was to send such a green driver but maybe all their others drivers were just as young but from Somalia. At the end he did everything he could to place the containers exactly where I wanted them.

Then I get a bill for $460 overtime. I reminded them it was a flat rate - and that I provided 7 sheets of clearly printed color google earth images, and their driver had them in hand when he showed up. And that when they send a kid out into the woods its their fault. This kid was awesome. I haven't heard back (yet?). I gave him a $60 tip, didn't tell the dispatch.

486002d1477508940-move-20ft-ocean-container-car-tractor_inside_container1-jpg

1/2 inch clearance to get the ROPS inside.

486001d1477508940-move-20ft-ocean-container-car-tractor_inside_container2-jpg

I'm happy.

Attachments

• Container_delivery.jpg
    Container_delivery.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 1,497
  • tractor_inside_container2.jpg
    tractor_inside_container2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,461
  • tractor_inside_container1.jpg
    tractor_inside_container1.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 1,458
   / Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #55  
Interesting Sodo. Keep us posted how that $460 OT charge works out. I'd be pretty upset myself if it was flat rate, and they already bumped it on ya once from $500 to $700

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #56  
Looks surprisingly dry and sandy at your location.

What did they nick you for two 20' containers if I may ask?

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #57  
Wonder if the driver knew that the tractor had an axle interlock so all 4 rears will drive?
That looks like a generic Landall Trailer.
I used to PU and deliver containers with a 48' Landall and a 1993 KW.
I could move the trailer wheels 15' forward for maneuverability or to get unstuck.
You can tilt the trailer so the wheels are off the ground, move them to good ground and lower the trailer.
The trick was to move the wheels or push the tractor before you got really stuck.

This was in Sept, it was dry & dusty. Its certainly not like that today. :) 20-ft containers were 1800 ea + tax. They were nice cond, and able to deliver next day. I found others for 1600 but 2weeks out. Sometimes they are 1299 but not the day you need one. I had a specific window of opportunity for delivery, couldn't shop around.

Driver mentioned locking, and all 4 sets were turning (when stuck). Also the containers are only 5k lbs empty, not much weight on the drive wheels.

Didn't lift the trailer wheels that woulda been cool, we had to cycle the brakes. Maybe there was more than 4 feet,,, 6? But 15 feet and long enough to lift the wheels woulda sped things up. Thx for the note.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #59  
Forgot about Tax... still a very good deal compared to the Bay Area.

Interesting Sodo. Keep us posted how that $460 OT charge works out. I'd be pretty upset myself if it was flat rate, and they already bumped it on ya once from $500 to $700

Today I got the call from the shipping container seller, they said pay up or they send it to "collections". :talktothehand: :talktothehand:

Does anybody have advice on how to deal with this? Seller said that somewhere in the trucker's "release of liability waiver" I agreed to overages. The truck was basically "in position" at the pad, about to place the containers when he pulled out the waiver. I skimmed the waiver, it was for release of liability for running over bushes and stuff. There were no bushes or stuff to run over, just my barn. The RofL waiver released the trucking company, I don't recall it naming the Container seller. I was so happy the containers made it to their planned dropoff location, and it was pretty clear that he wasn't going to damage any shrubbery that I just skimmed it. Of course I will request a copy of the waiver.

Can I bill them $455 for my assistance in getting their truck unstuck 7 times? That was some hours. How about 7hours @ $65/hr.....for labor + eqpt = $455, is that fair? They are lucky I had the eqpt; chains, 12,000 lb winch, 4WD pickup with a locker and knew how to assist. They are the ones who chose a "2-month experienced driver" for a "woods delivery". The driver had my 7 pages of Google Earth photos and notes with him, no surprises.

There are two other possibilities to this. A more experienced driver might

1) drive with more skill, make better decisions, and have no trouble, not require my help or eqpt. If a 2-month drivercan do it at all, I'm pretty sure an experienced driver could do it without incident.
- on the other hand -
2) not have "the right experience" & conclude its too risky and decline to place the containers.

I guess I'm pretty happy the containers are placed exactly where I wanted them, and not dropped at the beginning of my driveway. At which point it would be me trying to convince THEM how they should backpedal on the "flat rate". The original invoice does NOT say FLAT RATE shipping. Flat rate was a verbal negotiation. Seller said "I advise you to accept the Flat rate, it's not that much more and much safer for you".

Last edited: