Moving a Large Shed

/ Moving a Large Shed #11  
Check with your friends on facebook and see how many would come over and help toting it.

Maybe that and a Craigslist ad or invite a local TV station to publicize it.

If you really think you can go that route post back and we'll advise on bracing foundation etc.

/ Moving a Large Shed #12  
It does not surprise me that the Amish could do that, they are very hard working people.

/ Moving a Large Shed #13  
Around here, I guess since we have lots of old houses, there are jacking/rigging companies that specialize in jacking up houses for foundation and sill work. Maybe they could back a (or two) flatbed trailer under it once they got it up in the air. If nothing else, you could get an estimate to see what's what with the cost.

I have a 28x48 building and I can't imagine tackling moving it.

The Amish have time for that stuff because they aren't addicted to Facebook or watching the boob tube. :laughing:

/ Moving a Large Shed #14  
I wonder if you could borrow/rent some of those large trailer frames they haul modular homes to the site with? Then what, I don't know.

/ Moving a Large Shed #15  
I'd try it myself - I like a challenge :)

Brace it, jack it up, put logs under it and roll it where you want it.

Good luck and have fun :)

/ Moving a Large Shed #16  
I'm with others here contact pro movers on that sized building. I did a 14 x 20 something by jacking to put concrete under it but DID NOT move it anywhere only UP. Me and my Brother did that back a few years ago.

some pics in the gallery here click pic and see them, (BAD the camera sat on the ground for half a day and got wet so some of the pics are messed up.)

Mark

/ Moving a Large Shed #17  
if you can brace it, and support it with cross beams of some sort, you should be able to lift it.

If you can lift it, you can put a trailer under it. From there it is a piece of cake.

The hardest part would be coordinating the lifting and lowering.

/ Moving a Large Shed #18  
I don't see a problem bracing it or lifting it.

The biggest challenge is keeping the sides square and not splaying out when you move it. At 28 feet wide, you can't just put 30 footer posts under it.

You would need at least 2 trailers if not 4. Then you need to keep them all parallel or you'll be pulling the structure apart as you move.

But if you want to try it, I rolled my building after bracing and jacking it up. I had to 4 X 6 s under the sill plates. I put down boards flat on the grass. Then I used 4 inch steel pipe sections to roll it on. I poured a new pad with thicker perimeter than the overall floor. Then I put down one row of blocks with a new treated sill plate.

When it came time to lower it I supported the building from diagonal braces in the 4 corners at the top plates so I could remove the 4 X 6 s from the bottom. It was difficult to get the building exactly in position. The lowering of my 14 X 22 building was the most challenging part.

In retrospect I should have positioned the building before adding blocks and put 2 rows of blocks and left out a few where the 4 X 6 s were.

/ Moving a Large Shed #19  
Actually, with help you could do it but it will take some planning. Here are my thoughts, but I'm not an engineer.

I assume you know how to brace it with diagonal bracing in all directions and planes. Check bottom plates for any rot or other damage. After any repair to the bottom plate you may want to add another new treated 2x8 under the bottom plate to strengthen this critcal area.

You can make beams to go under the bottom plates to span the 28 foot width. Each beam could be two 20 foot 6 x 6 s bolted together, overlapped in the middle by 5 feet. I would space beams 4 foot in from the 2 ends, 8 foot on center. Brace from the middle of each beam to the top plates forming a triangle.

Get two or three heavy duty trailers and line them up in the middle one directly behind the other. Get the axles as parallel as possible. Build up supports as necessary on each trailer to keep the building level when it is lowered onto the trailers. Fasten the building to each trailer.

You now have something you might be able to pull with a 4 wd truck in low.

Now the new foundation. Build the foundation with the 2 sides up to appropriare height but no taller than the bottom of your cross beams. Leave the top row of blocks off in the area where the cross beams will intersect. Leave the two end walls foundation at grade level until after the building is in position.

Position the building exactly over the foundation. Lower it in place. Finish the block foundation. Fasten it to the block. Remove bracing and beams and have a celebratory beverage.

Last edited:
   / Moving a Large Shed #20  
I have no idea what the construction is of the building is,

your talking 70 feet is the 70' and orientation of the building in the same direction, or is a turn in there?

I think regardless one will have to build a few truss, or box beams to go a cross the building to keep it integrity I would think 4 foot tall to keep it with side to side stability and then X bracing (cables or some thing from corner to corner),

once lifted I would also probably reinforce the bottom plate or a gluelam, or 2x12 attached to the bottom of the building to keep the bottom from breaking or pulling apart,

carefully jack up the building side to side should work, (I helped move a few building one year with a professional building mover, (and one thing was to lift it evenly, so you did not twist it or bend it,)

use cribbing for blocking so it does not fall over when jacked up,

once up, one can put down planks and use sections of pipe to roll it on, if your planks and path is level,
(our house was moved this way over 100 years ago to it present location, the planks are still under the house).

by feeding the pipe in the front and taking them out from the rear and moving them back to the front,
If all in a straight line,

````````````````````````````

now if you have a turn one will have to lift the building and put some type of rolling stock under the unit,

when we did the building, the mover had huge I beams that were chained and he used a special jack to clamp the chains, but on the one barn he had about 4 or 5 cross members, under the building and then two main beams the length of the building, they were spaced about 20 or more feet apart, clamped on to the cross members, then trucks were placed about 2/3 of the way to the back, the main beams stuck out of the front, and a cross member was clamped on to the main, and it had a pin for a fifth wheel, backed under it with a huge old of road semi type tractor, and when ever thing was ready at just a walking speed we started off for the 8 miles we were going, a few walked and watched along the side, the electrical company shut off power line and helped lift them over the building, or took them down,

when we got there maneuvered it over the new foundation and reversed the process, taking apart the I beams and lowering the building on to the foundation,

we also did a house, that summer, more care as any movement would crack the plaster,
(in both cases, I was not working for the mover, but the people moving the buildings),

Moving USDA quonset building to farm - YouTube

there are semi trailers that are over 40 foot long, that could be a possibility,

Last edited: