Moving Cross Country - Questions

OP
T

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8n, saving up for a new Kubota or Yanmar
Thanks for the responses so far. I’ve been convinced that I’m not going to leave it for the renters to use because it’ll likely be half destroyed when I get back and also if some one injured themselves on it I could be held liable.

The moving company will move everything except for my motorcycle and lawn mower, but I’ll have plenty of room on my 14ft utility trailer that’ll I’ll be hauling out there so I might just store it in my garage New Mexico. It’s a pricey mower that I’ve paid off already.

The plan is to buy a new CUT when I return and if I have the lawn mower already it’ll be one less thing I have to buy. And the mower should store well in dry New Mexico.

Redlands Okie

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
Not thought of this before. Is there a warranty on it? Does loosing 3 years of warranty matter. Can it be extended cheaply ? May not matter one way or the other.

OP
T

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8n, saving up for a new Kubota or Yanmar
Not thought of this before. Is there a warranty on it? Does loosing 3 years of warranty matter. Can it be extended cheaply ? May not matter one way or the other.

I bought it in 2016 and it has a 4 year warranty so I’d be losing out on one year of warranty. Not a huge deal.

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I would haul it if I had the room. Put it on a trickle charger, keep the tank full, and run it for 30 minutes once a month on ethanol free gas.

If I did not have room to haul it, I would buy or put up a lockable shed to store it. Drain the tank, run it dry, remove the battery, remove the plugs and spray some oil into the cylinders. Let the renters know it is not for their use and put it into your rental agreement.

It will cost a lot more to replace a fine machine like that than to store is properly. IMHO.

metalbender

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1742
Do you have a good property manager to look after the renters? Many renters have no respect for your property, abuse the equipment and complain when it no longer works. Had renters on a quarter here, ran the well dry watering the garden 24/7 then bitched to no end about no water. Just one of a series of never ending problems. Good luck on finding decent folks.

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Take 2 spare tires just in case.IMHO I would keep the JDX590.Never leave anything nice for renters to tear up.

Yes! ....take spare tires for the X590 because that's a LONG way to drive a lawnmower! You're going to need them!

oh wait...I may be misinterpreting something here??... :confused2:

Don't leave it for renters!

bigtiller

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 2720
For a 3 year move across the country I would give some serious thought of hiring an auctioneer and selling everything I own except one vehicle and personal items.

Take everything you own, fold it neatly and put it in your back pocket.

That makes for no hassles or worries about possessions.

Who knows what may happen in another 3 years.

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Yes! ....take spare tires for the X590 because that's a LONG way to drive a lawnmower! You're going to need them!

oh wait...I may be misinterpreting something here??... :confused2:

Don't leave it for renters!
I will make it clear so you can understand.OP stated he is taking his 14ft. PJ trailer cross country so yes take 2 spares because most trailers have china junk tires installed on them.Understand now??

Last edited:

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
I will make it clear so you can understand.OP stated he is taking his 14ft. PJ trailer cross country so yes take 2 spares because most trailers have china junk tires installed on them.Understand now??

That makes absolutely no sense at all.
Now why would he tow a 14’ foot trailer behind his lawn mower across country?
That’s just going to slow him down even more!

civilian

Platinum Member
Tractor
Gravely Pro 16 walk behind, Kubota BX2230, Kubota B26TLB
If the job is tempting enough to make a 3 year move, I would also give this some serious thought.
And sell the trailer too. It's just going to drag down the mpg on the tractor. :)

Got a good laugh from the last few posts. LOL!!!! Jon