Moving large boulders

/ Moving large boulders #1  

MadDog

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I have been excavating for a smallish (15x80) landscaping pond. In addition to the usual variety of rocks and small boulders that my B7800, FEL and toothbar can handle without too much trouble, I have encountered three or four simply humongous boulders.

The latest was significantly over 1 cu yd. and was so heavy that my FEL couldn't budge it, much less lift it high enough to bring it up the ramp from the 6' deep bottom of the excavation.

So....what to do?? For whatever help it may be to others, here's how I solved the problem:

First, I dug around the boulder to its base, using my Woods 7500 BH.

Second, I used the FEL to backdrag ramps on both ends from the base of the boulder.

Third, I went in on one of the ramps, positioned the FEL blade about 2/3 up the boulder and used the FEL to push the boulder over and onto the opposite ramp.

Finally, I came in on the opposite ramp (the one the boulder had been tipped onto), brought the FEL in tight to the base of the boulder and ran a 20' length of 3/8" chain several times from the bucket hooks atop the FEL around the base and lower half of the boulder. I then backed up (FWD all the way, of course), dragging the boulder up the ramp and out of the excavation. The boulder occasionally started to slip out of the chain and it was necessary to re-rig the chain several times, but removal of the boulder to the top of the excavation and some 50' from where it had been was accomplished relatively easily.

My youngest son had seen the boulder yesterday morning when it was still half buried at the bottom of the pit. When he got home from work and saw it neatly placed at the end of the boulder wall behind the soon-to-be pond, his reaction was
how the @#%$*(@# did you do that? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Who says a 30hp tractor can't do serious work? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Moving large boulders #3  
yep moving those bigens sure can be a pain, my 28 hp 4x4 which is 4000+lbs with FEL on it has some good struggeling when I pulled some that size out of the creek...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mark M

/ Moving large boulders #4  
Pictures please!! My neighbor and I found a huge boulder half buried in my field this past fall. We are getting the field prepped for planting so we bush hogged, dug up trees and dug out rocks. This one in particular is about 6 ft in diameter. My neighbor just had to see if he could move it over to his property where he had baan gathering large boulders to place around his new pond. Well, it took a few chains and his 50 HP old case backhoe pushing and his 65 HP Case AG tractor pulling. But he did it! We haven't gotten any pictures yet, but it still sits on the side of his pond with chains around it. One of these days I'll a pic and post it.
Dave

/ Moving large boulders
I didn't take any pics during the process, but I'll try to take some this weekend of the boulder and excavation. It's just amazin' what you can do....

/ Moving large boulders #6  
I read some time ago in a magazine article that some folks had a rock that was to large to move. So they had a novel approach to solve the problem. They built a fire around it and had it going for at least 2 days around the clock. After the boulder was really hot they threw water on it, they said the end result was the boulder just shattered like a chunk of glass. Reading this thread reminded me of that, just thought I'ld pass it along in case someone got one that was to big to move and couldn't figure a way to get rid of it.

/ Moving large boulders #7  
Our last big fire out here in so cal they had huge boulders split and fishers appear in solid rock from the heat alone. I guess that is pretty normal but when you have the largest fire the state has ever seen more stuff is noticed.

/ Moving large boulders #8  
this is exactly how i learned to do it - after a few white-knuckle, near-death experiences where supposed experts suggested i 'lift' a nugget that was the size of a car.

i know - i know.. pics..

hooks on the FEL are the greatest asset.. don't know what i'd do without them!

pf

/ Moving large boulders
Grumpa: That sounds extremely ingenious, so long as you remember to get the #$%&* away from the rock real fast after you throw the water. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a large boulder when it "shatters like glass." Maybe, if you're feeling REALLY cautious, it might be better to pour the water on it before building the fire. In any case, my method works OK until you run out of HP or traction. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif