Moving

/ Moving #11  
I have moved many many many times wth UHAUL type trucks. The best rental I ever had used an Isuzu cab over. If I ever had to move myself again, I would look for that Isuzu and get it. The UHAULS are underpowered and pigs to drive. That Isuzu was very easy to manouver in tight spots, would actually go over 50mph and did not need a tank of fuel every couple of hours. Plus it used diesel.

The last two moves I did I hired a company to do the work. Both where short hauls of 50 miles or less and cost me around $500 for 3/4 guys and their truck for 4-6 hours of work. I still had to move alot of things myself but they handled the large heavy things. If we had wanted them too I would think they could have moved everything for no more than $1,000.

The trick to using the ramps is to place them, if you can, so that they are not steep. Place the ramp on a porch if you can or even in the house is possible. If the ramp gets wet, watch out they are slick.

Rent far more pads than you think you need. You will need them if you have anything that you don't want scratched.

Go buy dolleys, the ones that are just a few 2x4s put togather with four wheels. They things make your life much easier. Also get an applicance mover. This is the two wheeled dolley that has a long strap to hold large items. You can easily move washers, dryers, fridges with very little effort with an applicance move. During my last move I bought an appliance mover. Comes in handy from time to time around the house. Should have bought one years ago.... The truck rental should have them for rent but sometimes they run out. HD/Lowes sell them for maybe $100.

Later,
Dan

/ Moving #12  
That sounds like it could be an exciting ride, Eddie.:D I've moved and/or helped others move using both the trucks with the ramps and a truck with the tailgate lift. Naturally, I'd much prefer the tailgate lift.:)

/ Moving #13  
Last time I rented one I got a model with an air ride. You can let the air ride down and with the long ramp they supply you can move very heavy objects up the ramp with ease.

/ Moving #14  
Maybe this might help. One time I rented a 26' Budget truck with a long aluminum ramp. It was pretty sturdy except for items weighing over 300 lbs. Then it started getting wobbly. So what I did is get some cinder blocks and stacked them under the ramp about mid-way on both sides, leaving about an inch between the ramp and the top of the blocks. And when the ramp bowed down, it settled on top of the blocks which helped to stabilize it.

My ramp was flat, so it hit the blocks square. If your ramp is at an angle, be careful that it doesn't cause the blocks to slide if you decide to try this method.

Good luck.