Mower blade sharpener

/ Mower blade sharpener #1  

RidgeTopWVA

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400
Has anyone ever had any experience with one of these ? Any thoughts pros or cons ?

/ Mower blade sharpener #2  
No experience with that particular device, but I've tried many sharpening gizmos over the years. None of them were worth the time or money.
That thing may (may) pretty-up a sharp serviceable blade, but I just don't see it sharpening a worn blade.
Just get a cheap angle grinder with a 60 grit flap disc. I use one in a jig that keeps the angle perfect.

/ Mower blade sharpener #4  
What the heck is that gizmo ? I use an angle grinder and I’m done in a few minutes. So many gadgets out there, just like the gizmos to sharpen chainsaw chains that are crap too.

/ Mower blade sharpener #5  
never sharpened a mower blade here. Being on sandy loam the blades just wear away on the edge and get replaced every 2 years. Get them from Agri Supply.

/ Mower blade sharpener #6  
You need something that will remove metal from the blades to sharpen them. A belt sander works really good, an angle grinder with a flap disk or bench grinder are the standard. Can even sharpen with a plain ole file if want but the only thing that "device" will remove is money from your wallet.

/ Mower blade sharpener #7  
I used a grinder with a flap disc and did ok, then I bought one of these and it has really been worth the money for me. I sharpen 3 blades on 3 different mowers (9) plus a push mower blade and it has really helped me get the best edge and longevity out of them.

/ Mower blade sharpener #8  
I also bought one of those, always thought I was pretty good at holding the angle. It proved me wrong. About 5 or 6 quick passes and the blades are ready to go.

/ Mower blade sharpener #9  
Keep in mind that blade balance is critical, especially on lawnmower blades. Un balanced blades will quickly destroy the spindle bearings. Why I just replace them instead of fiddling with them.

/ Mower blade sharpener #10  
I'm also in the flap disc on angle grinder camp, cheap and easy.