Mower deck wash ?

/ Mower deck wash ? #1  

Cycledude

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4155, Ford 6610, Ford 8n
Have any of you folks installed a mower deck wash ? Does it work well ?

/ Mower deck wash ? #2  
My mower came with a connector for the deck wash. I used it about twice. I don't have a feel for how well it washed the deck but it sure did erode my gravel driveway under the deck. It might be okay on concrete or asphalt but you'd have a mess to hose down. I wouldn't do it on the lawn for fear it would blast a hole.

/ Mower deck wash ? #3  
Water and lawnmowers are not exactly friendly. Water can cause rust issues both with the deck and the spindles, and is frowned upon by most dealers.

/ Mower deck wash ? #4  
I did on my 48 inch deck-was useless for me. So I bought a lawn mower jack from Harbor Freight and I clean the deck that way.....sooooooo much better. I still have the added nozzle but I don't use it anymore because it really didnt work.

/ Mower deck wash ? #5  
i will always be the odd ball, i installed them on mowers, they work great for me, you have to use them every single time or they will clog. my decks have used water for 10+ years at this point, they are not rusting out any faster then my other ones, and its 0 work, hook it up for 10 minutes, use my leaf blower and done, when i pull the decks at the end of the summer, they are spotless.

/ Mower deck wash ?
Thanks for all the replies.
Been running my mower up a set of car ramps for many years now to scrape the grass out by hand (pretty big job) but a couple days ago a friend was talking about one of those bolt in washers he had bought from True Value, he claims it works great and that’s what got me interested .
I think his John Deere might have a 4 foot deck, my Kubota has 5 foot deck and it’s not very smooth under there so that makes it harder to clean, I bet his John Deere is a lot smoother under there so the grass can’t cling as easy.

Last edited:
   / Mower deck wash ? #7  
My JD X570 has a connector for under deck washing. I tried it twice. What a farce and PITA. I clean the complete tractor - every time - with compressed air.

I use a floor jack to raise the front of the mower. I clean the deck underside with a sharpened stick. Works for me.

• Good Post
Reactions: bm3
   / Mower deck wash ? #8  
I had one on a tractor and I tried it once. Made the grass that was stuck under the deck a mucky mess and even harder to scrape out.

/ Mower deck wash ? #9  
I had a cub cadet garden tractor years back that had those ports. I thought it did a decent job so long as you did it after each use. The problem is the plastic adapter you fastened on the hose tended to fail.

I have a zero turn now.. I sharpen an old 5 in 1 tool with a flap disc then use a mower jack and get to it. It’s a thankless task that I don’t care for.

The worst is, I hang the jack on the wall like everything else to free floor space. That sucker is kind of heavy and difficult to lift due to being oblong.

Needed to vent, sorry!