Mower options

/ Mower options #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
I'm always looking for the best option for mowing grass. On our 100-acre property, we have approximately 9 acres of "grass". This is not all contiguous lawn - it's mostly 1.5-2.5 acre sections, plus some grassy trails. I've used many different 3pt and/or tow-behind finishing mowers over the years, from 72" side discharge to 12' flex-wing rear discharge. All have their pluses and minuses. I currently have a Woods RD990x 90" 3pt mower, a Grasshopper 721D 61" mower and a 60" mid-mount mower on a Kubota BX2370. I recently got a Woods sub-frame mount backhoe on my JD4700 which is the machine that I use the RD990X on and while it's not terribly difficult to take the hoe on/off, it takes some time once you factor in having to remount the 3pt arms, then the mower, etc. This is why I picked up the little 20 year old GH 721D - a dedicated mowing machine that I could just hop on and mow at any time without having to switch attachments on the BX2370 or the JD4700. The GH is just too small, both in power for climbing hills and cut width to be a replacement for the RD990X. It's a great trim mower, though. Should I just suck it up and switch between the hoe and the big 3pt mower or should I consider selling the 990X and the GH 721D and moving to something like a Kubota F-series 72" mower or a 900 series GH with 72" mower as a dedicated mowing machine? There is an 800-hr 2000 Kubota F3060 with 72" deck for about $8000 for sale relatively close to me. I could sell the RD990X and GH 721D for about the same as that used Kubota F would cost.

/ Mower options
Isn’t the Grasshopper a dedicated mowing machine.

If you are mowing 9 acres I think you do need a dedicated mower.

MoKelly

Yes, the Grasshopper is a dedicated machine, but it’s too small for my application, unless used as a trimming machine.

/ Mower options #4  
Yes, the Grasshopper is a dedicated machine, but it’s too small for my application, unless used as a trimming machine.

Sorry - you said that in your original post. Not sure where my brain was!

My ZTR is 60 inches and the tractor is 72 inches so anything bigger is new territory.

MoKelly

/ Mower options #5  
I seen in a small town in Wisconsin that this
family did not worry about the lawn being cut
as they had this big sheep as a lawn mower.
So a bunch of sheep would be a good and
cheaper deal for all your grass cutting needs:LOL:
Then think of all the wool sweaters you can
make for winter use????

willy