Mower PTO shaft won't come off

/ Mower PTO shaft won't come off #11  
I broke a couple u-joint bearings on my mower PTO shaft. Thought it would be more convenient to just replace the shaft but I cannot figure out how to remove the old shaft from the mower. I assumed that removing the shear bolt and the retaining ring would allow it to slide off but thats not the case. With a big pry bar I can move it backward and forward about 1/2" each direction but it won't slide off the mower transmission shaft. Am I missing something?

I don't know because I'm not there, but it sounds like it would have been easiest to just change the shear pin and keep on mowing!
Gregster can you give details on the easiest way to change a shear pin in a fashion that fixes broken u-joint bearings?

/ Mower PTO shaft won't come off #12  
jimjumper and jaxs, yeah, you guys are totally right I didn't read the whole thing and gave a dumb answer. Sorry about that.
U-joints are a much more complicated issue and far easier to repair on the bench than the machine. But, as hard as it sounds to get it off -- I wonder how you'll manage to pound it back on without mangling up the new the new u-joints? Good luck.

/ Mower PTO shaft won't come off #13  
No pounding necessary to install new shaft. jimjumper being a resourceful and enterprising kind of guy will sand gearbox shaft with carbide sandpaper to remove rust and imperfections before sliding new shaft on.

/ Mower PTO shaft won't come off #14  
He probably will grease that shaft up so it won’t be such a bear next time??

/ Mower PTO shaft won't come off
Success! There is no problem that can't be solved with the proper application of force. Finally lost patience and stuck a pry bar into the u-joint and beat it off with a sledge hammer. Surprisingly, it worked! There was only 15 years of corrosion and heat holding it on. The new shaft, with a little grease, slid right on by hand. Normally when I lose patience working on something, I end up breaking it worse but this time it was what was needed. Thanks!

/ Mower PTO shaft won't come off #16  
Success! There is no problem that can't be solved with the proper application of force. Finally lost patience and stuck a pry bar into the u-joint and beat it off with a sledge hammer. Surprisingly, it worked! There was only 15 years of corrosion and heat holding it on. The new shaft, with a little grease, slid right on by hand. Normally when I lose patience working on something, I end up breaking it worse but this time it was what was needed. Thanks!
They say cussing doesn't help but I still try it sometimes. Preacher bought a push mow from a kid for $5 and couldn't get it started after he got home. Preacher had removed his jacket then his tie and was soaked in sweat when he saw the kid coming down the street eating a snow cone bought with his money. Preacher asked the kid if there was a secret to getting the mower started and kid said "cuss it". Preached said "I'm a preacher,I don't even know how to cuss". Kid said "just keep pulling, you'll learn how".