Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently.

/ Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #11  
Any cattle operations nearby? I'm thinking haylage might solve some of your weather problems. You have to get it dry enough to chop, but then it's bagged or bunkered and more rain won't hurt it. 85 ac. should be good for at least $15k/year plus horse pasture, maybe $20k.

Last edited:
   / Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #12  
I used to grow hay, so I get the challenges of mowing on time with just weather as your obstacle. With weather and only odd days to do it is just plain tough. Finding a responsible neighbor is always a challenge. If it were me, I would think of trying a slightly different approach.

You could get a few cows to graze down the paddocks between horse use...buy young, sell older, and you would still be earning money that you are missing by not haying.

Depending on how soon you want it for horses, if I were trying to build fertility for horse use in the future, I would think about green manuring it by planting pigeon pea or similar crop and tilling it in, and repeating.

Even just doing rotational intense grazing with cows will build soil fertility quickly.

All the best,

Peter

/ Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #13  
Let it grow if it is grass. Mowing only needed for weeds

/ Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #15  
Why do you consider 4 inch grass scalped. Cutting to 8 in height is your problem. Too high to get good results.
For tall grass I cut to 6 inch and cut again to 4 after a day or two drying. This is on field that holds water. In spring it can be over a month between mowings

/ Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #16  
If the target animal is horses, yes, 8" is better than 4". Much better. 12" is even better, but going to seed is a problem, too.

Young fresh pasture growth is rich in sugars and a serious problem for equine hooves (founder). It can be life ending, and even if it isn't, it can be career ending,and expensive.

https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/spring-grasses-harm-horses/

Longer grass reduces the amount of sugars that horses consume, as there is more, older, cellulose rich plant matter. Grasses grow from the base, so the new rich growth is concentrated at the bottom.

Hope that this helps.

All the best,

Peter

/ Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #17  
When I mow a field (not hay), I cut according to conditions. If it’s real dry, cutting low will result in burned pastures. I use 15’ CX-15’s, and don’t have any issues with tire marks accumulating clippings.
Too bad you can’t find a reliable hay farmer. If we are in good stuff, we will give the property owner rent or bales of hay.

/ Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #18  
I would find someone that can do wrapped hay. That way the weather is not an issue. Might not be good hay for your horses, but you can sell that hay and buy dry hay if that is what you need.

Then you don't have to mow it.

However they make some nice large bat wing mowers that should make the job a lot quicker.

/ Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #19  
I understand time limitations to get everything done! Is it possible to add some sort of spring loaded bar with fingers to the rear of the bushhog or series of bars with springs to break up the clumps of mowed clippings? Kind of like pulling doubles behind a truck? It would make for some fun if you needed to back up, but a simple hydraulic lift cylinder to raise it might eliminate that problem.
Just trying to throw some options out there for thought...
David from jax

/ Mowing 85ac pastures... and no time to do it consistently. #20