Mowing mowing in 2 or 4wd?

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd? #1  

dvan1966

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B6200DT
I have a B6200DT with FEL an 60" MMM. I have a fairly flat yard, a few dips and bumps. The rear tires spin alot when I mow in 2wd, it seems like the deck hangs gets hung up . If I mow in 4wd I have no problems. Just wondering if other people experience this?

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd? #3  
I usually always have my tractor in 4WD when I'm out in the fields... only time I take it out is when I'm on the road...

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd? #4  
It's unusual to mow in 4wd. If your land is so rough that the cutter hangs up, maybe you would be better off fixing the irregularities than stressing the cutter and 3ph.

If the land is damp and sinks a bit, and you leave 1"-2" deep tread marks, it can be beneficial to run in 4wd. Otherwise, the tractor should have no trouble mowing in 2wd.

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you tires filled? Are you cutting with the FEL attached? )</font>

The tires are not filled and I do mow with the FEL attached.

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd? #6  
Fill the tires for better traction, and consider taking the loader off if it isn't a major task. Why carry around extra weight where you least need it when mowing.

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd? #7  
I almost always leave mine in 4wd while mowing, with filled tires and without FEL. Just the other day I put it in 2wd because the ground is so hard right now, but I ended up spinning in the yard, tearing up the yard. So I put it back in 4wd. I do have some slopes to deal with.

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd? #8  
I mow approx 2.5 acres, both flat & hilly with a BX23 with the FEL & BH dismounted in 2WD and the only time I've had the need to use 4WD when mowing was when I get to spinning in deep mud and then only to get out.
My rears are filled.

Volfandt

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd? #9  
Hydro? If so, slow down.

/ mowing in 2 or 4wd? #10  
I mow in 2wd low range, and my yard slopes a lot. The only time I use 4wd is when mowing the banks and dam of the pond.