Mowing in the rain

/ Mowing in the rain #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
To the tune of singing in the rain.

I last mowed on Wednesday, May 7, if that date is correct. We went back to Tennessee for Mom's 90th birthday, and since we've been back I either had to be at work or it has rained or both. The grass is now knee high to a giraffe. It isn't raining right at this moment, but the grass is wet from rain all yesterday and last night, and more is coming. I know I could hook up my 60" Brush hog finishing mower, which will cut in a swamp OK, but it would sure make a mess of the "lawn" around the house. So I am contemplating mowing with my 46" riding mower set at the highest level. I may just wait until Wednesday because it is supposed to not rain after Monday, but by then the grass will be several inches deeper. Decisions, decisions. Ok. The Sunday political discussion shows are over, and I am completely irritated as usual, so the thought of making grass smoothies is appealing. Here goes.

Chuck

/ Mowing in the rain #2  
Also face same condition couple years ago,I raised deck high went back forth slowly than let sun and breeze do some drying..next day repeat,couple regular dates lawn look good..did notice how much lawn low/bare spots fill in during laps of mowing.

/ Mowing in the rain #3  

I last mowed on Wednesday, May 7, if that date is correct. We went back to Tennessee for Mom's 90th birthday, and since we've been back I either had to be at work or it has rained or both. The grass is now knee high to a giraffe. It isn't raining right at this moment, but the grass is wet from rain all yesterday and last night, and more is coming. I know I could hook up my 60" Brush hog finishing mower, which will cut in a swamp OK, but it would sure make a mess of the "lawn" around the house. So I am contemplating mowing with my 46" riding mower set at the highest level. I may just wait until Wednesday because it is supposed to not rain after Monday, but by then the grass will be several inches deeper. Decisions, decisions. Ok. The Sunday political discussion shows are over, and I am completely irritated as usual, so the thought of making grass smoothies is appealing. Here goes.

Chuck

New show for The Discovery Channel: Swamp Mowers :laughing:

Sorry, I could only make fun because I don't have a good solution.:confused3:

/ Mowing in the rain #4  
Yep, it you can't cut it in between rains, not so much fun. I got ours cut in between showers last night.

Also, I don't know why they want to ruin Sunday with the political yack.

There were days in the stock market when I wished it was closed so it couldn't get any worse, and there are days when I wish Congress couldn't be in session, either, for the same reason.

/ Mowing in the rain #5  
Late last year I was mowing several acres of uneven ground and it started drizzling pretty good about 2/3rds of the way through. I kept going and got the mowing done a couple of hours later. That was the good news. The bad news was the tractor and bush hog were crusty with debris and mud by the time I was done. It took quite a while to get it out of all the cracks and crevices.

Chuck

/ Mowing in the rain
Well, as I was walking down to the barn to get the mower, I kept stepping in puddles and sinking over my shoes, so I put it off thinking I'd try for Wednesday, because the forecast called for the rain to end today and for dry until Friday. It rained all day yesterday, so I would literally have been mowing in a fairly steady rain. Now the forecast is saying no rain tomorrow, but starting again Wednesday and Thursday. Aaarrrrggghhhh! My daughter's father-in-law has goats. May have to borrow some.

Since I didn't mow, I had to find something useful to do, so I built a trellis for my pole beans and started turning a roll of remesh into tomato cages. It was my birthday and the roll of remesh was one of my presents. Aside from the weeds and puddles, the garden doesn't look too bad, even with the unrelenting rain. Birds were pulling my pole beans up, probably because they kinda look like worms when they first come up. It is so wet I just stick them back in the ground and they keep growing. I pulled up hundreds of volunteer tomatoes out of one of my raised beds and stuck a few of them in the ground elsewhere....they came up with intact rootballs, so I figure they will do fine. I was doing all that while the rain kept coming down. It wasn't too cold, and my boonie hat kept it off my glasses, so I at least got some of the outdoor stuff I needed to do done.

Anyone got an ark for sale?

Chuck

/ Mowing in the rain #7  
Happy Birthday!

One of those old front mount sickle bar walk behind mowers is what you need. Just lay the grass down instead of making smoothies. How about a scythe?
Dave.

/ Mowing in the rain #8  
Happy Birthday!

One of those old front mount sickle bar walk behind mowers is what you need. Just lay the grass down instead of making smoothies. How about a scythe?
Dave.

I was thinking a sickle bar mower and baler for the tractor. :laughing:

/ Mowing in the rain #9  
Tall wet grass calls for scythe. Really, it is the easiest way to do it. The water holds the grass together and lubes the blade and for you it's a healthy exercise and excellent for the spine:thumbsup:

/ Mowing in the rain
Hmmmmm, scything about 4 acres. And here I was worrying about how I was going to get in shape for a charity bike ride my daughter wants me to do with her.

It is sunny today and the air compressor at work that I thought might eat my day seems to have decided to keep running after all. So, I'm taking off at lunch to go mow at least the grass around the house with my deluxe MTD riding mower. That thing may be a piece of junk, but it will cut tall wet grass. The main problem will be the windrows of clippings, but if they dry before it rains again I'll sweep them up to use as mulch in places where the weeds they carry won't be a problem. The lawn sweeper does a good job with that. I'm thinking I'll hook up the Bush Hog ATH for the rest of the mowing. It's slower, but it really spreads out the clippings, and I can drag it through the really wet spots out away from the house where I don't mind some ruts.

This is the second year for us with a really wet spring. Last year I only had to water a couple times the whole garden season, and I probably could have gotten away without that. Seems like we're not only getting warmer, we're also getting wetter.

Chuck