Mowing on the backside of the dam

/ Mowing on the backside of the dam #1  

MoPops

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225, John Deere X540
I have a CT225. I’ve spent the day chainsawing the backside of the dam. Pond is 8 yrs old. I haven’t tried mowing the back side. I noticed sycamore or cottonwood trees, locust trees, and some elms were growing up near the base of the dam.
question, whats the best way to mow back there. I have a brush hog that should work well. However, I’m not really experienced at everything, tractor. I have filled the rears with beat juice. I have the medium tread type (not ag treads). I was thinking I could back down the dam and then go back up, just getting four of five feet at a time. Definitely won’t go sideways along the dam.
Any suggestions appreciated. Including the recommendation to just “not” mow it.
Thanks
Jeff
4F8DF5DF-FF05-467B-9244-1A73745E217B.jpeg

/ Mowing on the backside of the dam #2  
Tree roots can wreck the ability of the dam to hold water.

/ Mowing on the backside of the dam
That’s my fear. They’ll go right through the dam into the pond. Then the water follows the path right back out. (Once the trees die).
These trees were just a few years old. I don’t think their roots went all the way through the dam.
Tree roots can wreck the ability of the dam to hold water.

/ Mowing on the backside of the dam #4  
Weed eat it or hire some boys to do it. Done been down that road. By the time you spin down trying to back up, tear up the grass, got to fix. Easier to use a HD string trimmer. Me and two others went around a 15 acre pond, all around. Overall, weed eaters are better. I had one that had a saw blade. It could only use a saw blade, heavy duty thing.

I’m thinking I can go up and down at an angle. In case it’s too steep to go straight up. But obviously keep from getting sideways on the hill.

Roustabout,
I didn’t see your post until after my last post. I may look into that. (Getting some younger guys to just weed eat it). Probably only need it done two or three times a year.

/ Mowing on the backside of the dam #7  
My dam used to look worse than that. Cleared all the brush and trees, chainsaw and push downhill with the tractor (BX 2200), Then filled holes and soft spots, major thrill ride with the bx. After few years I got it grass covered and smoothed out. Now I cut it 4 or 5 times year going up and down with BX and turf tires. On little section is vertical and rocky and it is still weed eater bait. The dam is about 400 yards wide and 35 foot tall holding a ~12 acre pond. I did clear a level path along the bottom as landing and turn around zone.

/ Mowing on the backside of the dam #8  
Yup weed trimmer and than you have better idea if you wish to use tractor.

I got both ends done, and a little bit more along the top. I’m just not comfortable getting on anything steeper. Maybe I’m way off, and the ct225 with loaded tires could tilt a lot more. I’m just not going to find out. I’ll weed eat the rest when it cools off.

Attachments

• 52AE329D-2BBB-42A4-ACAA-BCADF2FD04D2.jpeg
    52AE329D-2BBB-42A4-ACAA-BCADF2FD04D2.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 120
  • AC59E786-FA01-4E42-91A7-6090275B6875.jpeg
    AC59E786-FA01-4E42-91A7-6090275B6875.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 112
   / Mowing on the backside of the dam #10  
Looks good. Now you know some parts are "safe" and you get better a look at the hard parts. :cool:

Last edited: