Mowing quandry

/ Mowing quandry #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
My 1.8-acre property where I currently live has all the trees required to shut the HOA up plus a few more obstacles. Native grasses have seeded themselves and are starting to push out the tumbleweeds.

With that in mind, I'm in a quandry as to the best method for mowing my property. My 5' rotary cutter is too cumbersome to work around these obstacles, so I have a JD L130 lawn tractor that is more maneuverable than my CUT and brush cutter. However the L130 (Box store grade rig) or "L"emon 130 as I call it has been a disappointment. I don't expect CUT durability; but geez I only have 56-hours on the clock and I'm on my third mower deck belt, third set of blades (can't blame Deere on this), replaced a broken idler pulley bracket on the deck, and now I just put in a new PTO switch and clutch. The clutch fried itself and the PTO switch when the ball bearing retainer cage mangled itself causing the clutch to seize while mowing. The bearing dirt seal fell off when I removed the clutch (see pictures).

The other picture shows the underside of the mower deck and the last batch of claycrete/vegetation mix I chipped out of the thing. The ground cover isn't lush like a lawn, so a lot of the talcum powder fine clay dust gets sucked up into the deck and mixes with the vegetation and moisture to form a poor quality peat like mess. Green tumbleweeds are highly efficient at storing water, so they add a lot of moisture to the mix. Putting in a lawn is out of the question due to our climate and high water rates. A friend of mine says the deck looks like it saw battle at Normandy on D-day.

Although the acreage isn't high, the usage obviously falls into the harsh or severe category. A stronger frame tractor would be better and I prefer a shaft drive, liquid cooled, fuel injected all-wheel-steer unit, which means X700 series or a used 445 or 455 Deere to replace the L130. But whether I keep the L130 chugging along, or replace it with a heavier framed rig, or get a MMM for my CUT, I will still have the issue of crud build-up on the deck.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC03483.JPG
    DSC03483.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC03487.JPG
    DSC03487.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC03486.JPG
    DSC03486.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC03475.JPG
    DSC03475.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 128
   / Mowing quandry #2  
That is why I like the manual clutch of the L135 that I use, has 30 hours now, not many hours I know, but I have taken it places that people would cringe at.

The problems I have with it are the plastic rubber black caps on the front wheel brackets are a bad design, keep falling off.
A mower deck locking pin fell off, who knows when, just found it today.

/ Mowing quandry #3  
claycrete/vegetation mix I chipped out of the thing

How often do you clean the machine and under the deck? And how do you usually clean it?

Personally, I clean both top and bottom of any mower I use with either compressed air or water after every use. If I use water, I then run the machine long enough afterwards for it to dry itself.

/ Mowing quandry #4  
have you thought about a commercial series deere (front mount mower) like the new 1420? If your considering a x700 then your getting in its price range. Shaft drive, liquid cool, and it would be excellent around your trees. Plus you can get it with the 7 iron deck. Which pros say is among deeres best deck.

Neighbour has a older f525. seems to be a great mower. He mows probably 2-3ac with his.Awesome around trees with the front mount deck. ANd they can be had cheap on CL and tractor house. Under 2k for some in pretty good condition!

/ Mowing quandry
How often do you clean the machine and under the deck? And how do you usually clean it?

Personally, I clean both top and bottom of any mower I use with either compressed air or water after every use. If I use water, I then run the machine long enough afterwards for it to dry itself.

I hose it down after each mowing that gets the easy to get areas. This year I put three of Deere's wash ports on the deck, one for each blade. Deere recommends one-minute of water through the wash port with the blades running at full throttle. I usually do 2-minutes per port at full throttle with the deck in the lowest position to get maximum pressure differential. I then run the blades at full throttle for a couple more minutes to dry out the underside.

I do this routine half-way through the mowing job, and once again at the end. The wash ports work better than expected; but it would be nice if they would hook up to a pressure washer, which I think would help more than anemic 65-PSI house pressure.

Also I keep the discharge chute open to get as much debris out during the mowing session.

/ Mowing quandry
have you thought about a commercial series deere (front mount mower) like the new 1420? If your considering a x700 then your getting in its price range. Shaft drive, liquid cool, and it would be excellent around your trees. Plus you can get it with the 7 iron deck. Which pros say is among deeres best deck.

Neighbour has a older f525. seems to be a great mower. He mows probably 2-3ac with his.Awesome around trees with the front mount deck. ANd they can be had cheap on CL and tractor house. Under 2k for some in pretty good condition!

I'll take a look at those on the Deere web site Scooby. Thanks for the idea.