Mr Magoo

/ Mr Magoo #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
1st...

this is pretty much tongue and check but.....lots of truth here too.

I'm becoming one of my favorite cartoon characters of all time, Mr Magoo. Actually his main problem was eye sight and mines great but, like Magoo, every other system is failing. I bet most you male geezers out there know just what I mean, you youngsters have it all to look forward to. No clue re females.

Here's my point......I bet every where in the world, virtually all handicapped people are looked at with sympathy etc. etc. etc. When I was a young, handicapped meant in a wheel chair or blind or something like that. It's morphed a bit but that's not my point.

There is one handicap, when applied to a certain group, that gets no respect.

Hearing loss in old men! Hearing loss in any other portion of the population would get sympathy. Hearing loss in old men is either laughed at, scorned, ridiculed and in some cases, other people actually get POed.

Honestly, I think it's pretty funny too. We play bluegrass music. It's all pretty simple but the singer chooses the song and the key we play in. I'm sure you all know but, that's done to match the singers vocal range. Down here they say...what chord, not what key.

There are 7 notes, do, rey, me, fa, so.......etc etc. Also referred to as the key of A, B, C, D. E,F, AND G.....Then back to A.

The funny part is, B, C,D,E and G all sound the same. For virtually every song you see 4-5 old guys looking at each other saying D?, G ?, C? The bass player and i have a code. For instance, if the songs in C, he points to his eye. If in A, he grabs his ear. Ehhhhhh?

Maybe you gotta be there but, i think it's funny.

/ Mr Magoo #2  
I hear you, so to speak. I was reading part of the hearing loss is a processing issue in the brain. Apparently slower sampling rate, which means we miss some if the information like the sounds with a quick rise time, those that differentiate those sound like B, C, D, E, typically consonants.

Off shoot of poor hearing in older males is loss of social interaction, the decline in mental acuity and possibly depression as a result of these effects. I'm guessing playing music and interacting with people in your band will counteract some of those negative effects.

/ Mr Magoo #3  
What? Huh? speak up!. No, it is not particularly funny. And yes it is happening to all of us in varying degrees. It is kind of like an old car where parts start becoming defective and it seems like very day there is something new to deal with.

/ Mr Magoo #4  
Thank you Frankenbota. I honestly didn't understand the relationship between cord, key, and note and infact, will have to let it stew in my head for a while to fully comprehend it.

/ Mr Magoo #5  
I remember my father in-law not wanting hearing aids. He thought it made him look weak. His wife finally talked him in to it and they both got them. He ended up being really happy with them. My wife and I have noticed us saying "Huh?" to each other a lot lately. We know our time is coming, however, our main issue right now is tinnitus. Yikes. It gets loud sometimes. I downloaded a tone generator to my iPad and it's right at about 5900Hz. Annoying as heck. TV and radio, car window open, etc., tend to drown it out, but as soon as those stop, the tinnitus pops right back.

/ Mr Magoo #6  

The funny part is, B, C,D,E and G all sound the same. For virtually every song you see 4-5 old guys looking at each other saying D?, G ?, C? The bass player and i have a code. For instance, if the songs in C, he points to his eye. If in A, he grabs his ear. Ehhhhhh?

Maybe you gotta be there but, i think it's funny.
That is pretty funny, and yes, similar sounding letters are tough as your hearing starts to diminish. Our last name is difficult to pronounce, and has three of those letters in multiples. Trying to spell it out to someone while they write it down or enter it in a computer gets comical.

/ Mr Magoo #7  
I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, so am somewhat accustomed to it. I've worn hearing protection somewhat religiously for years which seems have kept it in check. What I do notice more and more though, is how hard it is to understand somebody when there are other noises nearby.

/ Mr Magoo
I hear you, so to speak. I was reading part of the hearing loss is a processing issue in the brain. Apparently slower sampling rate, which means we miss some if the information like the sounds with a quick rise time, those that differentiate those sound like B, C, D, E, typically consonants.

Off shoot of poor hearing in older males is loss of social interaction, the decline in mental acuity and possibly depression as a result of these effects. I'm guessing playing music and interacting with people in your band will counteract some of those negative effects.
Im a lost cause! My brain is a cinder.

I read years and years ago......one simple way to exercise your brain.

Old folks used to walk in big shopping malls early in the morning for exercise. The article suggested that every few yards, step up on a curb or anything with a different level.

Apparently that forces your brain to make adjustments and calculations etc etc. which helps keep it healthy?

Just FWIW

/ Mr Magoo #9  
Im a lost cause! My brain is a cinder.

I read years and years ago......one simple way to exercise your brain.

Old folks used to walk in big shopping malls early in the morning for exercise. The article suggested that every few yards, step up on a curb or anything with a different level.

Apparently that forces your brain to make adjustments and calculations etc etc. which helps keep it healthy?

Just FWIW
Just walk through the pasture or woods or along a creek.

I walked over 10,000 steps yesterday in one building, many stairs, long hallways. It was 7 am when I went inside and 8:30pm when I walked out. I prefer the pasture, woods and creek bank.

/ Mr Magoo #10  
What drives me nuts is movies that play fairly loud music while the players are talking. I can never understand what they are saying no matter how loud I turn the volume. Then the commercials are so loud they hurt my ears and I turn down the volume and have to turn it back up when the commercial is over. If the actress is one of those with a high squeaky voice I have to turn on closed captions because I can't decipher those high tones.