Ms 500i

/ Ms 500i #11  
How I wound up with the 075 and 090 and some other saws. Back when I was young we had a tree company as well in Ohio. 2 chippers. a stump grinder, 2 high rangers and a chip truck and 4 full time employees. Back then, Stihl bars all had greaseable roller noses and when the bars lost their radius which is required for cutting, I replaced them with Carleton roller nose bars. I like them because they are all replaceable. To each their own. What I do (did) and what you do are different. Still run Carleton bars or Echo bars and both are greaseable.

Favorite saw is an 028 AV. Only made for 2 years the one I have with the heated grip at least. She's over 45 years old and runs like a raped ape... 325 chipper custom filed by me. The big ones run 404 skip tooth square ground chipper chains.

I'd sell the big ones for the right price. All Magnesium, no plastic.

/ Ms 500i #12  
How I wound up with the 075 and 090 and some other saws. Back when I was young we had a tree company as well in Ohio. 2 chippers. a stump grinder, 2 high rangers and a chip truck and 4 full time employees. Back then, Stihl bars all had greaseable roller noses and when the bars lost their radius which is required for cutting, I replaced them with Carleton roller nose bars. I like them because they are all replaceable. To each their own. What I do (did) and what you do are different. Still run Carleton bars or Echo bars and both are greaseable.

Favorite saw is an 028 AV. Only made for 2 years the one I have with the heated grip at least. She's over 45 years old and runs like a raped ape... 325 chipper custom filed by me. The big ones run 404 skip tooth square ground chipper chains.

I'd sell the big ones for the right price. All Magnesium, no plastic.
I can't even imagine running an 090. My big saw is a meek muff modded 044. It's beastly. 090 would be a hand full. Bet it sounds awesome.

/ Ms 500i #14  
I got an MS500i last year to take down a giant oak tree. The tree was 38" diameter about a foot above ground.

The saw runs great though it has some quirks. Like sometimes when starting, it will start, then immediately die. When this happens, you just have to press the stop button, then on the next pull, it will start and run fine. Another problem I've had, is that this saw seems to throw its chain fairly easily. I usually experience this when cutting a stump near the ground, where the bar heats up due to little ventilation. When this happens, it tends to bend and tweek several drive links. This will prevent you from simply remounting and adjusting the chain and carrying on. This is the first saw I've had with a 34" bar, so maybe extensive chain stretch is a normal thing for these long(er) bars. I don't know. Just keep an eye on the chain tension to keep this from happening.

Overall, I am happy with the saw. IT IS POWERFUL. For cutting firewood (with a shorter bar I presume) you will have a big grin as that saw rips through you logs.

/ Ms 500i #15  
I got an MS500i last year to take down a giant oak tree. The tree was 38" diameter about a foot above ground.

The saw runs great though it has some quirks. Like sometimes when starting, it will start, then immediately die. When this happens, you just have to press the stop button, then on the next pull, it will start and run fine. Another problem I've had, is that this saw seems to throw its chain fairly easily. I usually experience this when cutting a stump near the ground, where the bar heats up due to little ventilation. When this happens, it tends to bend and tweek several drive links. This will prevent you from simply remounting and adjusting the chain and carrying on. This is the first saw I've had with a 34" bar, so maybe extensive chain stretch is a normal thing for these long(er) bars. I don't know. Just keep an eye on the chain tension to keep this from happening.

Overall, I am happy with the saw. IT IS POWERFUL. For cutting firewood (with a shorter bar I presume) you will have a big grin as that saw rips through you logs.
If you set the bar nose on a solid object and hold the rear handle how much does the bar flex. So bars are prone to droop that will cause enough flex to throw the chain when the saw is turned on its side, or are very suseptible to side load meaning people have a bad habit of pushing down pressure or pulling up on the rear handle while felling.

/ Ms 500i #16  
If you set the bar nose on a solid object and hold the rear handle how much does the bar flex. So bars are prone to droop that will cause enough flex to throw the chain when the saw is turned on its side, or are very suseptible to side load meaning people have a bad habit of pushing down pressure or pulling up on the rear handle while felling.
Thank you for the insight on my problem.

I'll look at my saw to see how much flex there is.
There's definitely a lot of pressures, even using wedges, when cutting stumps close to the ground. I'll be reexamine my technique. (y)

/ Ms 500i #17  
I too cut alot of firewood but 10-14" range and mostly pines and tamarack so I have no need for a saw that size.

That being said stihl is my go-to brand and my dealer is fantastic.

He said today he no longer sells the ms500i as he was getting too many unhappy customers. He wouldn't elaborate why guessing he knows what my guys do and the stable of saws I have already.

If you get one let us know how you like it.

edit: last year people told me to stay away from stihls m-tronic saws but fingers crossed mine have been bulletproof/fantastic.

/ Ms 500i #18  
Any chainsaw is only as good as the set on the loop is. Power means nothing with a crappy loop.

/ Ms 500i #19  
Thank you for the insight on my problem.

I'll look at my saw to see how much flex there is.
There's definitely a lot of pressures, even using wedges, when cutting stumps close to the ground. I'll be reexamine my technique. (y)
I have seen bars as short as 20" cut moon shaped just from uneven pressure on the log spikes causing the bar to twist.

/ Ms 500i #20  

Stihls haven't oiled long bars well for years. I used to modify the oilers to oil for people who ran Stihls. Ms660 had an upgraded "pacific oiler" available.