MT 125 Max tiller size?

/ MT 125 Max tiller size?
I finally bought a Betstco TM130 tiller. It's a 51 inch wide blade. I tilled the garden a couple of days ago. I was quite impressed. I have amended red clay and at this time of the year here in Western Oregon it's pretty mucky. It's not a good time to do dirt work. I was pretty surprised it did not faze my LS MT125. I needed to clean things out and enlarge the garden and it handled old dirt and new easily. I'm wondering what properly dried dirt would be like.

It's not normally Quick Hitch compatible. I did not think I wanted one but I deceded to get one after the fact. With that big ass hook on the back it makes it real convenient to hook a chain to and yard small logs and rip out old grape vines. With proper application of a kinetic mass converter and re-calibrating the tiller's mounts spacial orientation by 3/8s inch inboard it fits perfectly on my new Titan implements Quick Hitch.

/ MT 125 Max tiller size?
Well, I shot my self in the foot - with a Bazooka! So, when I got the tiller the PTO shaft was too long. I cut the shaft and all was fine. Then I got the quick hitch. Now the pto shaft was too short. So I got a PTO shaft extension to restore the PTO shaft length. Long story on that extension and how I "fixed" it but needles to say that fix failed and the PTO shaft extension came off the end of the input shaft of the tiller and slid off and the front part of the PTO shaft flung around and snapped off the PTO shaft on the back of the tractor! I could not believe that 1 inch shaft snapped off like that. Other than the snapped shaft the tractor seems fine. The dealer I bought it from says up to two months turn around time with part ordering and service schedule time. Another dealer said at least two weeks if he had the parts because it's spring time and every farmer is getting the equipment ready. Both dealers are more than 70 miles away. Buying parts for LS tractors on line is hard. I finally went through Messicks and ordered New Holland parts for their Workmaster 25s. I could play the warranty game but they would have to investigate the failure and it would probably be declined because of abuse and all that would burn up all Spring. S

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #13  
Yep. One of the reasons I am not a fan of the one piece quick hitches. I'd have to get all new pto shafts.

Pretty sure PTO shafts are hardened. Not 100% sure, but I think I remember someone, somewhere telling me that. If they are, then they will break quite easily with a shearing force. Depending on the temper. I remember having a discussion in my machinist class about the difference between "hard" and "tough" in relation to metal.

I have only ever seen one shaft almost break. I was quite young, maybe 10. I was rototilling with one of our old IH tractors and when the job was done, I couldnt remove the PTO shaft. I asked Grandpa for help. Took us a very long time, separating the halves and getting the tractor, with the half shaft, into the shop. It eventually twisted off! The splines looked like an inverted rifle, spiraling down the shaft.

Looked like this, only this is NOT my photo. I didnt have a camera 30 years ago.
unnamed.jpg

We removed the shaft and Grandpa made phone calls looking for a replacement. He found one, a 3hr drive away. We took a road trip. We walked into this shop, parts place and I'll never forget the parts guy face as Grandpa put the twisted shaft on the table and said "Apparently they to this just before breaking." The look of shock was awesome!

Long story short, we got the new PTO shaft and installed it. Pretty sure it's still on that tractor.

Anyhow, you might be surprised by what is covered by warranty. I broke a steering control arm because I put chains on the front and got it bound up in the loader bracket. Dealer warrantied the parts, I did the replacement only because I didnt want to wait for him to get to it. It was completely my fault, but dealer said the part shouldnt have failed. Who knows, maybe your stock PTO wasnt tempered enough and broke due to a manufacture defect. Maybe they wont actually care and just fix it, doing the right thing.

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #14  
Yep, you don't have to tell them the whole story.... " I had the tiller going and "Bam!" ... broken shaft...

depends on the cost.... I would probably fix it if the parts weren't too expensive.