Dirt Moving MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big?

/ MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big? #1  

JTMachineDesign

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLB
Looking to buy a box blade for my new 125.. found a used 4' but the guy wants more than a new one and he's a 4 hr round trip from me.
My local (kinda) TSC has a 5' blade in stock (amazing!).. I like the idea of it being a skoosh longer than the tractor is wide, but wondering if it might be too much for it.
I live in the high-ish desert, the digging is eazy.. comments anyone?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-box-blade-5-ft

Last edited:
   / MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big? #2  
Wait for a good used one. Box blades have really gone up in price. I just recently shopped and bought a 5' blade for L2550 Kubota. I don't use one enough to justify new, but the used ones on CL and FB Mkt place were priced at what I thought new ones were.

After several months, one popped up mile and half down the road! Advertised, kept indoors and used twice. The guy was firm on his $500 price, but new these MT-500s are $806 from the manufacturing facility.

IMG_20200926_123806771_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200926_123744665_HDR.jpg

/ MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big?
Wait for a good used one. Box blades have really gone up in price.

The question is, is 5' too big for an MT125?

anything tractor related worth using in southern California is rare - used stuff is often worthlessly rusted or broken.. The only box blade I found used was an older 4 footer and the guy wont budge lower than $800..
by the time another one shows up Kamala will be running for her second term....

I can swing by TSC on my way home tonight and be grading in the morning, for less than the used one:)

looks like you got a good deal though...

/ MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big? #4  
Understood. I only looked for a year before this popped up. At least buying a box blade when she's running could get your mind on something less depressing.
I would think based on the weight of the 125 being 1444 lbs, a 5' might be too big. Should have plenty of power to pull it though.

/ MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big? #5  
FWIW I have a 25 hp CUT weighing about 3000 lbs with the loader with R4 tires.. I have the 5' TSC box blade and it can stop my tractor if I take too big a bite. So I lift the blade and do more passes. But the digging isn't easy here. Hard soil and big rocks.

One of the problems with a box blade is that as soon as you drop it to grade you've lost any traction it was adding. Loaded tires would help (mine are not) and with a light weight tractor such as yours you might consider it.

One of the problems with a box blade is that as soon as you drop it to grade you've lost any traction it was adding.

ya, that's what I thought. I'm not excited about filling the tires.. they're kinda small anyway..
I made a lowball offer to the guy that wanted 800 sheckels for his used 4 footer.. we'll see if he bites.

/ MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big? #7  
When I had my 125, I used a 54" HEAVY box blade, covered the wheels even with 2" spacers. Yes, you can get stopped in your tracks, just take a smaller bite! I could fill it with rock and keep moving, the only time I really had to be careful was when digging. I use a 6' on my 3025 w/o difficulty.

So I called the guy that wanted new price for a used 4 ft box blade. Offered him half, he took it. 😊

boxblade.jpg

/ MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big? #9  
I am assuming that you got the ripper shanks ? Looks like a decent box blade.

/ MT125 Box Blade search.. 5 feet too big? #10  
looks like a nice heavy duty box blade, especially for its size. Looks heavier than my 5' one.