MT235E Front Axle Oil

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

I'm a Kioti guy, but I'm currently helping my neighbor service his LS MT235E tractor. We discovered his front axle is low on oil and I'm trying to source the correct product for this application. The owner's manual states a requirement for API GL4 SAE 80W and a recommended product of EPK80W90 from S-OIL Total Co. Ltd.

The vast majority of gear oils I can find are rated for GL5.

Now my concern. I own Korean and US cars with manual transmissions and they all require GL4 due to bronze and other yellow metal transmission components that will react negatively to the additives in GL5. In in my vehicles, GL5 is not backwards compatible and can damage those gearboxes. I'm concerned his front axle may have similar components and potential problems from the wrong oil. Also, my Kioti and other small tractor brands fill the front axle with hydro oil at the factory and I want to add only compatible fluids to his machine. The owner's manual does not mention this possibility, but I don't want to screw up my friends tractor.

So, what do you guys use in your front axles?

Thanks,
Mike

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #2  
1684107247592.png

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #3  
Myself I'd use an Amsoil gear lube this one actually specifies good for brass;
1684110532597.png

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #4  
Myself I'd use an Amsoil gear lube this one actually specifies good for brass;
View attachment 800503

Best choice is https://www.amsoil.com/p/severe-gear-80w-90-agl/

Use in differentials, manual transmissions and other gear applications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5, MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037), Mack GO-J or other GL-5 based specifications from vehicle manufacturers, including Ford,* GM* and Chrysler.* Can also be used in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended.

This is what I use.

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #5  
Howdy folks,

...I'm currently helping my neighbor service his LS MT235E tractor. We discovered his front axle is low on oil..

Thanks,
Mike
This seems to be common on smaller (40hp and under) LS tractors as several have noted the same on different forums. Most of us have had to add 1-2 quarts total over the first 20 hours.
I checked it upon delivery and added just a little and then continued to check it every 2-3 hours and always had to top it off until about the 20 hr mark then it was staying full.

Someone suggested it was due to 80 gear oil being fairly thick and just takes a while to flow into all the small areas and/or was filled while it was cooler weather.

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil
This seems to be common on smaller (40hp and under) LS tractors as several have noted the same on different forums. Most of us have had to add 1-2 quarts total over the first 20 hours.
I checked it upon delivery and added just a little and then continued to check it every 2-3 hours and always had to top it off until about the 20 hr mark then it was staying full.

Someone suggested it was due to 80 gear oil being fairly thick and just takes a while to flow into all the small areas and/or was filled while it was cooler weather.
That was my thought as well. I stuck a clean screwdriver into the check port and determined there is oil in the axle, but not reaching the dipstick. Fortunately, there was oil there and it was both clean and not burned smelling. I'll top off his axle with this I have on hand for my cars which use this oil.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230514_084732_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_084732_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 50
   / MT235E Front Axle Oil #7  
As soon as it says GL-5 on the bottle, put it back! Like the OP stated, GL-5 is not backwards compatible. If the specification is for GL-4 only, then use GL-4 only. Even if the bottle states it can be used in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended. I get this info from doing my transmission in my Toyotas. But I get it, a Toyota pickup is not the same as a front axle on a Korean tractor.

The OP is correct on the reasons why we need to use GL-4 only in gear boxes that contain brass, bronze, or copper. GL-5 will dissolve that metal. It's not fast, but it will happen, and will destroy that gear box over time. That is why I use GL-4 in my manual transmission pickup. But due to availability and cost of GL-4 oil, I do use GL-5 in my differentials and transfer case on my pickup, only because there is no metals in those gearboxes that would be damaged. Likewise, implement gearboxes, I use the GL-5 oil in. If one of those gearboxes fails, they are easy enough to rebuild or replace. A front axle on my tractor is not.

I do wonder if this is the reason so many hubs develop leaks on these tractors, people using the wrong oil? I don't think so, but it is interesting. For me and my tractor, I'm not sure if there are soft metals in the front axle, but the manual states API GL-4, so that is what I will put into it. I scrolled through the shop manual looking at the parts in the front axle, but they do not show what type of material they are made out of. It's not something I'm going to risk.

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #8  
   / MT235E Front Axle Oil #9  
I have no issue using Amsoil GL5 in this application. Here is why,
Not arguing with you or the information you posted. Just highlighting some things. Everyone is entitled to run whatever they feel is correct in their own machines. The Tractor Police will not come and arrest you for using GL-5 in your front axle, but...

From the mroilguy link you provided:

"Some GL-5 oils contain EP additives, which can be damaging to yellow metals such as brass and bronze. For this reason, GL-5 should not be used in synchronized manual transmission. Despite this, it can be used in transmissions that are not synchronized without causing damage."

He is specifying transmissions, how the oil can damage the 'yellow metals' found in most synchros. Differentials, transfer cases, etc., do not have synchros, so using GL-5 is ok. However, the key information to take away from this is the 'damaging to yellow metals' part. In a tractor's front axle, is there 'yellow metal' in bushings, seals, gears? I honestly dont know. I havent rebuilt my front axle yet. However, the manufacture, the one who pays a team of engineers a ton of money to design the front axle, specifies the use of GL-4 in the front axle.

Based on that info, is GL-5 okay to run in a front axle of a 4 wheel drive tractor? Maybe. But I know that GL-4 is safe. I wish I could put GL-5 in my front axle. Its cheaper and easier to find, and probably safe, but I cannot, in good conscious, knowing the risks that will keep me up at night, put anything into my front axle other than API GL-4 gear oil.

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #10  
The Amsoil synthetic GL-5 does not damage yellow metals and is safe, the specification data sheet specifically mentions that.