MT235he Hydro and HST filter change

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

I'm helping my neighbor with the initial 50 hour service on his new LS MT235he. Everything went well outside the Hydro and HST filter change. This tractor has 50 hours and like other new machines, these filters were installed by a gorilla with a huge wrench! I broke my filter strap wrench attempting to get this thing off.

Ideas on how to remove these filters? Part of the problem is the filter baseplate is mounted only to pipes, not a fixed object like the engine or transmission casting. This system causes the baseplate to flex a bit under torque, so not all the energy I'm applying is focused on the threads and seating surfaces.

Today I'll buy a new and hopefully stronger strap wrench and give it another try. I'm open to ideas! How about heating the base of the filter with an electric heat gun? I'm also trying to see how I can brace or better support the baseplate the filter attaches to.

Thanks,
Mike

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #2  
My buddy had the same issue with his xr 4140 , broke multiple wrenches. finally got two poeple and 2 wrenches on it and broke it loose. make sure it is warm when you try it next.

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #3  
I used an old large metal strap oil wrench I used to remove Diesel truck oil filters and it actually came off fairly easy compared to what I expected after all the posts similar to yours.

Was your filter wrench metal or rubber?

Maybe take a razor blade and cut around the filter where the paint is.

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #4  
I don't own a strap type oil filter wrench. I find a Rigid strap type pipe wrench is useful for a BUNCH of stuff beyond plumbing. It even works to loosen oil filters!!

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #5  
For those "stuck" filters, I use large channel locks. Allows me to get a good bite on the filter and remove it.

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #6  
My preference is a chain wrench.

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #7  
Definitely cut around the filter at the base plate with a razor knife, cutting through the paint. I was fighting with the filter on mine.... finally cut the paint and it came right off.

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #8  
A sharp chisel at the base crimp struck with a heavy drilling hammer will often move them. The impact works better than a steady force. A lot of the HST filters have a notched base that works well for this.

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change #9  
For those "stuck" filters, I use large channel locks. Allows me to get a good bite on the filter and remove it.

This ^^ without exception. I have a slip-joint with a huge opening for it's handle length.

Even then, room to swing the handles is often tight and I have to take small bites to get a filter 'moving'.

Gripping the filter near to the closed end works to our advantage. Body tends to crush too much if grabbed midway between the ends. That can make getting a second bite even more awkward if it gets too far out of shape.

I second using hammer & chisel or burp gun on/near the rim to break 'er loose. Less likely to nerf the mount or pipes if it's connected to just them.

btw, Be sure the rubber seal comes off with the old filter or expect a disastrous leak when you fire up.

/ MT235he Hydro and HST filter change
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. In the end, I put the tractor up in the air a bit with the outriggers and blocked the tires for safety. This gave me room to better reach the filter. I then did my best to cut the paint and heated the base of the filter with an electric heat gun. The added room from having the tractor up a bit helped me increase my mechanical advantage on the filter and it came off with the broken (well bent) strap wrench.

I suggested my neighbor return his strap wrench to the store with the almost 90 degree bend in the handle and get his money back. He purchased that tool just for this task. I bet a standard strap wrench will work fine in the future now the original filter has been replaced.

Be well,
Mike