MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate?

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

My older than me neighbor recently purchased a LS MT235he tractor. It is a very nice machine, but whenever he is trying to utilize his pallet forks he has to stand to see them. The machine starts beeping at him when he's off the seat and will shut down if he does not put weight on the seat.

He can't see his pallet forks unless he stands and the tractor won't let him do that. How can I help him remedy this situation? He is not limber enough to place a knee on the seat when using the forks. I'm thinking there may be a plug I can place in the switch under the seat to keep that circuit closed, or perhaps make a jumper wire? I'd prefer to not bugger this up.

On my Kioti DK40se hst, this is not an issue. I was surprised with this one.

Thanks,
Mike

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #2  
Not sure exactly on this particular machine, but most seat switches are the same. Find it, and jump the connection. Simply make a jumper wire and or loop, and hook it back to itself. A youtube search might help.

On my tractor, I unplugged the beeper from behind the steering wheel. It never shuts down, I dont think that was ever a thing on my tractor. But the annoying beeping is gone when I set the parking brake.

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #3  
There has to be another way. Maybe because my Kubota M6040 is considered to be a utility tractor. I stand up - the beeper will beep for ten seconds, or so, then the beeper turns off. It has done its job - I have been warned. NOTHING has been turned off - other than the beeper. The way this works is OEM.

My new JD X570 riding mower is just like the OP's tractor.

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #4  
I don't know the LS. You may have to determine what the switch is doing and emulate it with jumpers. Some close contacts when you get up while others open contacts. On rare occasions a switch may do both, that is close one set of contacts and open a second. The number of wires leaving the switch will tell you how complicated it may be. My Kubota has such a switch but it only shuts down if using the PTO and Kubota has even given a workaround for that if using a stationary device on the PTO. Read the LS manual, they may have included a workaround as well.

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #5  
whenever he is trying to utilize his pallet forks he has to stand to see them.

Perhaps consider a camera and monitor so he can see without the need to stand? A two channel system would allow him to see the rear three point area also.

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #6  
OR - get a nice back pack. Fill it with heavy material - hang it on the back of the seat when the tractor will be used.

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #7  
Currently a thread running about a mowing death. Leave the operator switch alone. Bizarre things happen and especially on older people. Stand up and adjust forks - sit down and move.

A cold icy winter heavy clothes operating a Honda ATV in reverse turning around to look slipped off pegs. Caught sleeve on thumb throttle and went for a wild ride over the handle bars onto the front rack. Hit a small stump and flipped 500 pound ATV on me. Bizarre things happen, best to leave this switch alone.

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate?
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. My 2011 Kioti DK40se hst has no such seat switch and I routinely stand to visualize what's happening when I'm putting a load on the forks. I can see this feature being necessary on a gear tractor (can't manipulate a clutch standing), but I see less value in a hydro tractor like my neighbors LS. I'm also a not fan of modifying stuff on a brand new machine. I'll share your ideas with my neighbor and see where he wants to go with it.

Be well,
Mike

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #9  
I would wire in a small toggle switch so that seat switch could be disabled when necessary, but could be reactivated if he were to let someone else use the tractor.

/ MT235he Safety Switch in Seat - how to eliminate? #10  
Currently a thread running about a mowing death. Leave the operator switch alone. Bizarre things happen and especially on older people. Stand up and adjust forks - sit down and move.

A cold icy winter heavy clothes operating a Honda ATV in reverse turning around to look slipped off pegs. Caught sleeve on thumb throttle and went for a wild ride over the handle bars onto the front rack. Hit a small stump and flipped 500 pound ATV on me. Bizarre things happen, best to leave this switch alone.

You're not getting the picture here. If he stands up the tractor shuts down. So how is he going to adjust anything with no hydraulics?

I had the same problem with mine until I disabled the switch. Can't see the forks without standing up, can't run a PTO powered chipper - what the ****?? How many years were tractors made without this safety nanny - and those of us who used some common sense survived just fine!