MT3 57 OBD II connection

/ MT3 57 OBD II connection #1  

PeteN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 LS MT357HC
I was able to use my automotive OBD II tool to connect to the MT3. Spent a little time to find the connector. Manual inferred about where it was located. Needed to remove the right lower panel by my HST pedals AND the plastic center kick panel which is where it is located. I don't get why these connectors never have covers on them especially for a vehicle used in a dirty & possibly wet environment. I was able to see the most basic info - engine speed, coolant temp, intake manifold pressure, etc). I was most interested in the coolant temp since my gauge never gets to the halfway point. Looks like at PTO speed (2400rpm) the coolant temp gets up to 170-176 deg F which is where the manual states the thermostat starts to open (and is fully open at 190 deg F). Thought the engine would run a little hotter but I wasn't working it so maybe it might get into the 180's. Anyone else ever document what temp their MT3 is running at? Interestingly enough, with no external load, the engine is under 6psi of boost when at PTO speed.

Attachments

• MT357 OBDII connector.JPG
    MT357 OBDII connector.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 85
   / MT3 57 OBD II connection #2  
Mine pretty always stayed at 176 no matter what I was doing. If it were to get hotter I'd check your radiator screen.

I found OBDLink to be a great app for the LS but you need their connector I believe. You must be using Torque?

Is your boost reading at 2400 with no load? It will be higher with a load. Also your true boost won't be discovered until you go into regen because your EGR is contributing to the boost under normal operations.

/ MT3 57 OBD II connection #3  
Is the port the blue thingy?

/ MT3 57 OBD II connection
Mine pretty always stayed at 176 no matter what I was doing. If it were to get hotter I'd check your radiator screen.

I found OBDLink to be a great app for the LS but you need their connector I believe. You must be using Torque?

Is your boost reading at 2400 with no load? It will be higher with a load. Also your true boost won't be discovered until you go into regen because your EGR is contributing to the boost under normal operations.
Good to know about the coolant temp since it seemed a little low.

Yep, using Torque Pro. Use it on my automotive vehicles for troubleshooting error codes. I've got a generic ELM bluetooth device to talk to it. Boost reading was at PTO 2400rpm speed no load. I was just looking at what parameters were being output. I've attached a screenshot of everything that it output on my device.

Attachments

• MT357 OBDII output parameters.JPG
    MT357 OBDII output parameters.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited: