MT357HC or MT342HC buying advice

/ MT357HC or MT342HC buying advice #1  

hammick

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Pretty sure I am going to get a new cab tractor. I've been speaking with the owner of Yellowstone Tractor Company and he has been very helpful. Even traveled a couple hours out of his way to check out my trade. I can get the MT357HC for $35,800 or the MT357HC for $31,800. So I need to decide if 15hp is worth 4k. I think the 57hp tractor has Cat II 3 point and the 42hp has Cat I. The MT357HC may arrive at his place as early as next week. He won't have the MT342HC until later.

Problem is my trade. I have a Branson 4020 with 683 hours. It's an open frame 40hp turbo synchro shuttle. Has the BL20 loader and a quick attach pallet fork frame. In good condition but not a beauty queen.

Yellowstone will only offer 7k on my trade but is willing to put it on consignment for 10%. They said they would fix any leaks and weld any cracks, clean it really well and spot spray paint as needed. We talked about asking $11,995.

What do you guys think my Branson is worth on a dealer's lot that offer's financing?

Yellowstone Tractor is 166 miles from me. The other dealer, Hobby Time, is 382 miles. Hobby Time will give me 9k for my trade.

Yellowstone Tractor has a great reputation and the owner has been helpful.

Do you think consignment is the way to go?

Thanks for any advice.

/ MT357HC or MT342HC buying advice
Man you guys must be out on your tractors a lot. It's crickets around here :)

/ MT357HC or MT342HC buying advice #3  
Yeah, during the weekend, many people are out working, myself included. I get to be on TBN during the work week. :D

Since there is no real "blue book" (that I know of) for the used tractor market, its hard to gauge what something is worth. It will always be worth more to you than to someone trying to buy it. And dealers, they need to make money one the deal too. Lets look at trading it in first.

Its hassle free. As in, you will sell it directly to the dealer for the new tractor, wash your hands with it and move on. However, you will get significantly less for it, because the dealer takes all the risk, and again, needs to make a profit.

Consignment with your dealer: You split the risk, and might get more than a trade. "Might" being the important word. If there is not a buyer within a reasonable amount of time, your dealer may sell it for less than you may want, just to move it off his lot. Now, there are probably some contractual thing where he must ask your permission or whatever. This happened to me, when I bought a used piece of equipment on consignment. They were asking too much in my opinion. I asked how long it had been sitting there, the dealer probably lied to me and said 8-12 months, lie or not, thats a long time. I cut their price in half. He picked up the phone, called the owner... The phone conversation lasted just a few seconds, and I got a good deal. Time, will make you want to move it for whatever price.
However, your dealer is willing to spruce it up some, which is attractive. Ask your dealer if they list consignments on sites like TractorHouse.

Selling it yourself has its drawbacks too. Got to do the sprucing up yourself, list it, have people out to look at, only to say 'no thank you.' or insult you by low balling you. You may sit on it for a long time before finding the right buyer.

Lets talk specifics: a 2020 Branson 4020 will go for about $26K. I would suspect about half value for a used tractor with 683hrs. So $13K. Did you do any upgrades? Calculate that in too. Now add 10% for negotiation wiggle room: 1300+13000=$14,300 Thats the number I would be looking for... for a private sale. You should feel a bit uncomfortable with your asking price. Let the buyer talk you down a bit, but no lower than say, $12k. And stick to it! Even if it takes you years... which it might.

Personally, if I was going to be purchasing a new tractor, and the dealer offered me a fair deal (which can be negotiated as well), I'd go that route. It's a win-win for everyone. The dealer makes more money if/when he sells it, you get it off your hands and are rewarded with a new tractor.

Now, which tractor? If this was my decision, I would consider the implements I already have. Which are mostly cat1. But some are both, and the others can be converted quite easily. I was stuck with a similar problem when I made my decision. The dealer asked me if I wanted to up my HP from 45 to 55. Its the same tractor, different turbo and different code in the ECU. Add more money of course. I figured I really needed a 30hp tractor, so I upped myself to 45 and thats what I got. Looking back, I wish I would have gotten the 55hp. Not that this 45 is a slouch, but having that extra power... just something about it, especially pulling hills. So for me, right now, if I was to sell my XR4145C and upgrade, I would definitely get the MT357C... or maybe the XP8101CPS :D

Thank you Avenger. My 4020 is a workhorse but no garage queen. With some polishing and spray paint she could look a lot better. I put her up on Billings, MT CL for $11,900 I'd be happy if it sold at that price.

/ MT357HC or MT342HC buying advice #5  
I just looked at your post. Pre-emissions?!?! HUGE Selling point!

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

Thanks for checking it out. I'm glad you were able to find it. First CL ad got flagged and deleted. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I had a link to the Tractordata.com link. I also put it on FB marketplace using my wife's account. I despise FB but the marketplace works well.

/ MT357HC or MT342HC buying advice #7  
Did make a deal yet? Mid-Missouri dealer's are around 31,000 for MT342HC with third function and loaded tires. Add $6 to 6.5 K for backhoe.

Did make a deal yet? Mid-Missouri dealer's are around 31,000 for MT342HC with third function and loaded tires. Add $6 to 6.5 K for backhoe.
Yes I bought my MT357HC from Yellowstone Tractor last July. Got their first one. Haven't had any issues. Getting ready to do my 50 hour service. I didn't get the backhoe.

Last edited:
   / MT357HC or MT342HC buying advice #9  
... Add $6 to 6.5 K for backhoe.
That is a great price too!

The one for my MT240 was about 4.5K.

If I had gone Green or Orange it was 9-10K!