Much higher lift than the Kubota?

/ Much higher lift than the Kubota? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Since I just finished the rebuild on my old 1952 8N, I have been using the 5' finishing mower behind it. It pulls it very well now. Before, it would really struggle. One thing I have to get use to (took about 1.5 yrs to rebuild) is the 8N lifts the mower much higher than the L2501 Kubota that I have. Much Much Higher! :eek: It just seems to be a function on the newer tractor that won't let it pick up something but so high. Keep in mind that the finishing mower has the float function on the 3 point hitch setup. All three points float using four wheels and are not made to be rigid like a brush cutter would be. It sure is nice to be back in business with two tractors as I can just leave the Finishing Mower behind the N and much less swapping back and forth with implements on the Kubota. Picking that heavy thing up with the N , that does not have live hydraulics...it's all or nothing on them, sounds like I'm about to get a haircut with the mower so close behind me and whizzing around...lol :confused2: Just wondering if anyone else with an older tractor and a newer tractor has noticed this before?

/ Much higher lift than the Kubota? #2  
My Kubota has two holes where the lift arms connect to the 3 pt arms. I normally leave it in the lower hole as this allows the 3 pt arms to be closer to the ground when lowered but reduces overall lift height. The only attachment this has caused a problem with is the two bottom plow. When it is all set up and leveled side to side with the tractor in the furrow there isn't enough 3 pt lift to get it more than a few inches off the ground. Swap the arms to the other lift holes and problem solved.

/ Much higher lift than the Kubota? #3  
Put your toplink in the bottom hole on the tractor too. That will help lift the back side of the cutter higher, yet still allow the swinging floating bracket to work when mowing.

/ Much higher lift than the Kubota? #4  
My Kubota has two holes where the lift arms connect to the 3 pt arms. I normally leave it in the lower hole as this allows the 3 pt arms to be closer to the ground when lowered but reduces overall lift height. The only attachment this has caused a problem with is the two bottom plow. When it is all set up and leveled side to side with the tractor in the furrow there isn't enough 3 pt lift to get it more than a few inches off the ground. Swap the arms to the other lift holes and problem solved.

Perhaps clarifying pictures.

Photo #1 top pin hole. Considered default adjustment.

Photo #2 lower pin hole. Note lower angle of Lower Link.

Attachments

• DSC00426.JPG
    DSC00426.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 216
  • DSC00428.JPG
    DSC00428.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 179
   / Much higher lift than the Kubota? #5  
Since I just finished the rebuild on my old 1952 8N, I have been using the 5' finishing mower behind it. It pulls it very well now. Before, it would really struggle. One thing I have to get use to (took about 1.5 yrs to rebuild) is the 8N lifts the mower much higher than the L2501 Kubota that I have. Much Much Higher! :eek: It just seems to be a function on the newer tractor that won't let it pick up something but so high. Keep in mind that the finishing mower has the float function on the 3 point hitch setup. All three points float using four wheels and are not made to be rigid like a brush cutter would be. It sure is nice to be back in business with two tractors as I can just leave the Finishing Mower behind the N and much less swapping back and forth with implements on the Kubota. Picking that heavy thing up with the N , that does not have live hydraulics...it's all or nothing on them, sounds like I'm about to get a haircut with the mower so close behind me and whizzing around...lol :confused2: Just wondering if anyone else with an older tractor and a newer tractor has noticed this before?

Note that there is dynamic lift range that is inherent in the mechanics and hydraulics of the lift linkage. -- Lets say 18 to 24" of travel at the lift eyes depending on the tractor. -- This range can be offset higher or lower, but the amt of range will not change unless you actually alter the pivot points or the hydraulics. ... To make the most of what you have, LD1s method with the toplink point is valuable in that it will affect how much the rear of the implement tilts upward as it rises.

/ Much higher lift than the Kubota? #6  
Perhaps clarifying pictures. Photo #1 top pin hole. Considered default adjustment. Photo #2 lower pin hole. Note lower angle of Lower Link.

Thanks, that shows what I was trying to say.

/ Much higher lift than the Kubota?
I definitely have the same problem with my two bottom plow. I have to be real careful going across the yard to the front field to plow. The red head gets real excited, for some reason, if I accidentally let a plow point scrape a furrow in "her" yard. I didn't know the red head even knew that kind of language. :eek:

I do have it (top link) in the bottom hole. I was use to doing this with the N also as it can really wreck something on the old ford to have something heavy on (6' box-blade etc. in one of the top holes).

/ Much higher lift than the Kubota? #9  
I do have it in the bottom hole.

If you want the L2501 Lower Links to lift higher, move the right and left side adjustment pins to the TOP hole on the stirrups.

See photos in Post #4.

Ok, I went back and re-read and and the lower hole won't lift as high as the second hole. Got it. :thumbsup: