Mud Daubers, they got me again!!!

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
You call them daubers, we call them mud wasps. Yep, we have them here and I hate the little sods. Always plugging up my compressor fittings and any darn thing with a hole in it. I had trouble with my ride-on mower today and knew exactly what it was. It took a good bit of running to clear out the muffler. Must have been a real big nest. I build model planes and often find mud nests inside them. Amazing how far they can poke mud in the tiniest holes. Electric drill bit clears some of them.

I wonder if taking a chunk of wood and drilling some 1/4 (5 to 6mm) to 3/8 (10 mm) sized hole in it and leave them conspicuously laying around would help by giving them something to "daub" in and leaving your tools and equipment alone.

Alien

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I doubt it. The nests they build, if you open them, are filled with small spiders that are a food source for their young. They catch the spiders and paralyze them. The spiders are real dopey when you release them. The poison must preserve them.
I think we just have to live with them.

Dftodd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l1501, Z121s
And don't forget the hydraulic reservoir air breather hole either. (the little shepherds crook rubber thingy)
I donated an old sock to that cause. Cut a piece off, wrapped the shepherds hook under the seat on my tractor and then clamped it with a hose clamp. It's been 3 years now with out issue.