Mufflers on small CUTs

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #11  
Really, you guys must be a persnickety bunch! I ran two tractors for more than 15 years each, both with that low front exhaust. Never got a scratch close to the exhaust and only rarely caught a whiff of fumes, which I didn't mind.

What are the alternatives? Anyone who ever ran an old Ford or Ferguson knows a tailpipe beneath the tractor, automotive style, doesn't work and a pipe rising straight up from the hood absolutely does get snagged by branches.

Cheers!

/ Mufflers on small CUTs
I found a shot of the M345e exhaust. I like how it is better protected.

I told my kids that just because they crossed the street safely without looking 100 times did not mean that they would not be killed on the 101st. I am sure for many tasks the risk of fouling the exhaust on the M2 series is minimal. I'm that guy that needs to minimize risk. Murphy love to mess up my day.

Attachments

• products-private.jpg
    products-private.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 67
   / Mufflers on small CUTs #13  
Twenty five years ( two tractors ) with the low exhaust no problems other than side panel heat damage before I bought it. The straight up over the hood exhaust could get snagged as I found out with a borrowed tractor.

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #14  
If you end up hitting something that can even get close to cause any type of damage to the exhaust, you've already pretty much wrecked the entire hood and most likely all the exposed linkages underneath. I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as fumes, these tractors nowadays burn so clean, even without DPFs, that the smoke is not even noticeable. Just the little puff during start up.

The exhaust there is just fine and the only possible issue really, is that it covers the loader arms full of soot and in my case, the little bumper/light support. To avoid that, I did make a turn down tip out of stainless steel pipe.

IMG_20180705_121756 (2).jpg

/ Mufflers on small CUTs
If you end up hitting something that can even get close to cause any type of damage to the exhaust, you've already pretty much wrecked the entire hood and most likely all the exposed linkages underneath. I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as fumes, these tractors nowadays burn so clean, even without DPFs, that the smoke is not even noticeable. Just the little puff during start up.

The exhaust there is just fine and the only possible issue really, is that it covers the loader arms full of soot and in my case, the little bumper/light support. To avoid that, I did make a turn down tip out of stainless steel pipe.

View attachment 715780
See, you protected yours with a winch. 😉

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #18  
Mine is the same style and I also added a turn down (and to the side) like ptsg. I've never had it get snagged or touched by anything but...like slowpoke slim I have problems with the chaff and leaves etc., etc. blowing up and swiftly clogging the radiator. I'm constantly thinking about different directions and ways for it to exhaust in some other style. Just haven't come up with the right solution yet. Eventually I will.

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #19  
What are the alternatives? Anyone who ever ran an old Ford or Ferguson knows a tailpipe beneath the tractor, automotive style, doesn't work and a pipe rising straight up from the hood absolutely does get snagged by branches.

Cheers!
I have a Ford Jubilee with exhaust plumbed under and to the rear….

So far no problem

I like and considering plumbing the other with the vertical to under and to the back

So far no problem

What problems have other encountered?

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #20  
Mind you this was a long, long time ago... when I was an impressionable kid and spent time on a TO 20 Ferguson. Biggest issue was that hot muffler and pipe in a dry field. If the grass or corn stalks were at all sticking up there was a possibility of lighting the field on fire. We would never rake hay with it for the same reason.

The little Ferguson needed rings and smoked, which seemed to exit the tailpipe and follow whichever way I needed to go, much more than the more recent equipment I owned.

But in spite of the tailpipe, I've akways loved those Fords and Fergusons. If you don't have a concern about running over dry brush, they are just great chore tractors.