Mulching Kit or No

/ Mulching Kit or No #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
It's been a number of years since I had a mower that did NOT mulch the grass. I recently bought a new ZTR but it does not much, i.e. side discharge.
I'm considering adding the mulching kit. Anyone done this already, and if so are there drawbacks?

/ Mulching Kit or No #2  
My experience has been that really thick grass may bunch up more with a mulching kit, but overall the grass is much better dispersed with the mulching kit. The mulching kit is also great for shredding leaves in the Fall. I haven't raked any leaves in eons.

I don't know what performance you may get out of a mulching kit for your specific mower, but generally, my experience has been very positive.

/ Mulching Kit or No #3  
I'm a mulcher. Always have been. I have a new Kubota 1211 and added the mulch kit after I bought it. I've actually never seen a downside except maybe a slight loss in power. Insignificant though.

/ Mulching Kit or No #4  
It's been a number of years since I had a mower that did NOT mulch the grass. I recently bought a new ZTR but it does not much, i.e. side discharge.
I'm considering adding the mulching kit. Anyone done this already, and if so are there drawbacks?
Our Ryobi ZT480e came with a blank to replace the discharge chute. I put it on immediately. Have mulched many many years. Tried a bag once for one round and asked myself, "why am I doing this stupid thing?"

/ Mulching Kit or No #5  
I have a bobcat ZTR. I was useing a mulching plug for normal cutting but found it leaves a little line of grass clippings. Now I just let them blow out with the diverter up and it spreads them out so nicely you cant see them.

However in the fall I mulch leaves like a mad man. Also havent raked in a long time. I hardly even leaf blow. Come spring you can hardly see the mulched leaves.

/ Mulching Kit or No #6  
I used to have to burn a lot of leaves. Now with a mulching kit (3 mulching blades and side discharge blind plate) I don't have to.