Mulching options for Massey Ferguson's mmm 60" deck, 2325.

/ Mulching options for Massey Ferguson's mmm 60" deck, 2325. #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
I did some googling on this, searched this site as well. So far, I'm finding nothing for an actual mulching kit for the deck. Not even mulching blades for it, which is strange, you'd thing there would be at least an aftermarket option for mulching blades.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anybody tried just taking off the deflector and plugging the discharge chute with a flap? Anybody do this, and if so, how were the results? Doesn't seem like a flap would be all that hard to fabricate, with the chute being a rectangular shape w/o curves.

/ Mulching options for Massey Ferguson's mmm 60" deck, 2325. #2  
Blocking discharge is worth a try but some lift at blades is neccessary.

/ Mulching options for Massey Ferguson's mmm 60" deck, 2325.
Yeh, that's what I'm wondering, how would the mower perform with stock blades and chute blocked? The chute on this deck is utterly retarded...it's huge, all steel so there's no give when you run into stuff with it, and doesn't tilt all the way up if you wanna pin it up for storage.

/ Mulching options for Massey Ferguson's mmm 60" deck, 2325. #4  
I wonder if the mulching blades from the MF GC 54" mulching deck (model 2315 I think) could be added to the 60" deck.

It wouldn't be a direct match since they'd be smaller blades.

/ Mulching options for Massey Ferguson's mmm 60" deck, 2325. #6  
It wouldn't be a direct match since they'd be smaller blades.

The mulching deck uses six blades on 3 spindles and if I understand it correctly the upper 3 blades do the mulching.

The mulching deck uses six blades on 3 spindles and if I understand it correctly the upper 3 blades do the mulching.

This is it, right? Found the pic on google, it's from TBN thread.

476642d1470424722-gc1705-50-hour-service-video-deck-cleaned-up-jpg

And here's my deck:

IMG_20190918_132926.jpg

You know what, now I realize it's not just a matter of plugging the chute and changing blades. The mulching deck has baffles that encircle the blades, so the grass could be rechopped a bunch. Whereas my deck has a pretty big exit channel for funneling grass clippings out the chute from the 3 blades. Great for spitting out grass clippings, but I dunno how it would work for re-chewing the clippings just by blocking the chute. I suspect it would just create a buildup of clippings in that channel (although I suppose the buildup could eventually act like baffles).

Kubota's mulching kit addresses that by including baffles that you mount in the deck: kubota BX mulch kit installation - RCK54-23BX deck - YouTube

I thought it would be like on my craftsman 50" deck, it's mulching kit is just different blades and a plug. It's got a way smaller exit channel, I suppose the design made a compromise so that it could do either side discharge or mulching ok "enough".

/ Mulching options for Massey Ferguson's mmm 60" deck, 2325. #9  
I run gator mulching blades and a discharge chute gate on my ZD mowers. The mulch does pile up in a windrow at the discharge side, but it is well chopped up.
I generally use the gate for mulching leaves, or when I want to avoid splattering something with grass.

I run gator mulching blades and a discharge chute gate on my ZD mowers. The mulch does pile up in a windrow at the discharge side, but it is well chopped up.
I generally use the gate for mulching leaves, or when I want to avoid splattering something with grass.

Yeh, I read some previous TBN posts about Gator blades, people where contacting Gator, were told they don't make blades for the MF2325 deck. :(

I was looking for pics of underside of zd mower decks, I found this:

211358d1304600575-kubota-zd331-mower-dsc03392-jpg

Is yours like that? Looks kinda like my craftsman deck, baffles surrounding the blades except for a channel between the 3 blades and then out the chute.