Mulching problem with BX

/ Mulching problem with BX #11  
teachdocs,

I am really sorry to hear that you had so much difficulty with your mulch kit. Since we have dry summers, I irrigate, always on Mon. and Tue. Then I can count on having dry turf by weekend. Having dry grass is important with a mulch system. The clippings are light enough to float around in the top of the chamber and be really shredded into small bits. The height and texture of the particular species can make a difference as well.

I like my mulch system so much that I sold the bagger I had to another TBN member. I have been much pleased with my mulch system as I no longer have to empty bags and with the nutrients returned directly to the soil, I no longer have to fertilize.

Different conditions can make a system work fine in one situation and not work at all in another. Advice on TBN is usually quite good, but it also pays to get advice from others in one's own locale as well.

Again, sorry yours didn't work out for you.

/ Mulching problem with BX #12  
teachdocs,

I am really sorry to hear that you had so much difficulty with your mulch kit. Since we have dry summers, I irrigate, always on Mon. and Tue. Then I can count on having dry turf by weekend. Having dry grass is important with a mulch system. The clippings are light enough to float around in the top of the chamber and be really shredded into small bits. The height and texture of the particular species can make a difference as well.

I like my mulch system so much that I sold the bagger I had to another TBN member. I have been much pleased with my mulch system as I no longer have to empty bags and with the nutrients returned directly to the soil, I no longer have to fertilize.

Different conditions can make a system work fine in one situation and not work at all in another. Advice on TBN is usually quite good, but it also pays to get advice from others in one's own locale as well.

Again, sorry yours didn't work out for you.

/ Mulching problem with BX #13  
I have a mulching kit on a big rear mount Befco ...according to the instruction manual, 2mph top speed for mulching ...takes time to cut the blades of grass several times, so says the manual

/ Mulching problem with BX #14  
I have a mulching kit on a big rear mount Befco ...according to the instruction manual, 2mph top speed for mulching ...takes time to cut the blades of grass several times, so says the manual

/ Mulching problem with BX #15  
Tom_H
Those are really good points you make.
I don't irrigate the majority of my 5 acres, so usually pretty dry. Different conditions and different types of turf are great examples of what may work for one person, and not for another.
I prefer to mulch versus bag for the benefits you mention. I usually bag a couple of times in the spring growth spurt for a big compost pile that is ready by fall for all of the planting bed renewals. That works pretty good for me.
I wonder what types of grass typically grow in Maine and California. Here in the Midwest, we have a blend of fescue, rye, and bluegrass.
Regardless of mulch kit or not, my lawn was the envy of the entire neighborhood. Lots of JD fans around here. Bringing the "Orange" on the street raised some eyebrows. By the end of my first season, everyone was saying "I gotta get me one of those!" The Kubota BX with MMM will give you excellent results.
Glad to hear the mulch kit works for a lot of other folks.

/ Mulching problem with BX #16  
Tom_H
Those are really good points you make.
I don't irrigate the majority of my 5 acres, so usually pretty dry. Different conditions and different types of turf are great examples of what may work for one person, and not for another.
I prefer to mulch versus bag for the benefits you mention. I usually bag a couple of times in the spring growth spurt for a big compost pile that is ready by fall for all of the planting bed renewals. That works pretty good for me.
I wonder what types of grass typically grow in Maine and California. Here in the Midwest, we have a blend of fescue, rye, and bluegrass.
Regardless of mulch kit or not, my lawn was the envy of the entire neighborhood. Lots of JD fans around here. Bringing the "Orange" on the street raised some eyebrows. By the end of my first season, everyone was saying "I gotta get me one of those!" The Kubota BX with MMM will give you excellent results.
Glad to hear the mulch kit works for a lot of other folks.

/ Mulching problem with BX #17  
I bought a blade height measuring device at the local JD store. You slide it under you deck to check the blade tip height. Handy little tool.
I too have a mulching kit for both the ZG23 and the Bota 2200, I use neither. I am using the Gator blades and they have made a REAL difference. They really chop up the clippings.

/ Mulching problem with BX #18  
I bought a blade height measuring device at the local JD store. You slide it under you deck to check the blade tip height. Handy little tool.
I too have a mulching kit for both the ZG23 and the Bota 2200, I use neither. I am using the Gator blades and they have made a REAL difference. They really chop up the clippings.

/ Mulching problem with BX #19  
I have a BX24 with a 54" MMM with Kubota Mulching kit/blades installed. I mow to 2 1/2" and only have one area where the grass is particularlly thick and grows wild due to poor drainage where I get some clumps. My old Wheelhorse tractor could barely get through this area unless I mowed with about 1/3 of the deck. I just go over this area twice and it looks like a million bucks. The rest of the lawn also looks fantastic. I never knew my lawn could look so good! I have never been a fanatical lawn guy, just mow and hope for the mid to late july burn to set in so I don't have to get out there so often. Now it looks so good I am actually thinking of watering and fertilizing. What has this BX done to me!?

/ Mulching problem with BX #20  
I have a BX24 with a 54" MMM with Kubota Mulching kit/blades installed. I mow to 2 1/2" and only have one area where the grass is particularlly thick and grows wild due to poor drainage where I get some clumps. My old Wheelhorse tractor could barely get through this area unless I mowed with about 1/3 of the deck. I just go over this area twice and it looks like a million bucks. The rest of the lawn also looks fantastic. I never knew my lawn could look so good! I have never been a fanatical lawn guy, just mow and hope for the mid to late july burn to set in so I don't have to get out there so often. Now it looks so good I am actually thinking of watering and fertilizing. What has this BX done to me!?