MULCHING with the TIMBER AX

/ MULCHING with the TIMBER AX #1  

Terra Firma Scott

Silver Member
Tractor
Cat 257 B High Flow
Hey there-Was able to get the AX running today!!!! Very Happy about that!:) I now realize the need for the Positive Pressure systems you all have spoken of.....EXTREMELY dry here and Dust is like powder...Cakes up...Had to stop after 3 hours cause the radiator screen was plugged so thick my coolant overheat idiot light started yelping!!!I might get in the habit of clearing the machine every 1.5 hrs or so...Some of the CAB seals are not in the best condition so I am getting MUCH dust in the cab and a/c return....I may also raise the shoes on the head so I am not so deep in the ground...Was in the woods with a good 8-10 inch layer of pine straw and leaves and seemed like I was pushing piles of it around...All in the angle of the head I suppose I will figure these tricks as I go along.Handles 6 inch NO problem...Larger will do it but need to give it time to suck it up....Neat to watch it feed itself like a hungry beast!!..Happy with the power so far and better than I expected but like all things we always want MORE....

Enough for now, lots of dust to blow for tommorrows adventure:D

/ MULCHING with the TIMBER AX #2  
Alright, Now were talking shop. I keep my skids on the middle setting. Still cuts close to the ground and keeps the blades out of the dirt. Dirt will dull the blades faster then anything.

Second, get used to carrying the head, you want to skim the material and then if need be set it down further.

Sounds like you could really use a reversing fan!! ASV's must have larger radiator fin openings because when I blow it out it is dusty but it will not stop the machine.

Third, watch for white dust, that means your on rock. Also dulls blades.

Yes these tractors will suck the dust in, and with as dry as it is theres no way it wouldn't. I'm working on a fan setup and I'll let you know how it turns out. Limited success so far.

Regardless of how much H.P. you have theres always a job that will make you want more. I saw a web site for a mulching company that had a tracked mulcher with 1000 H.P. Stated it would clear 1+ acre an hour. Gotta get one of those. I bet the price was el grande too.

Enjoy your timberax. Robbie