Mushroom ID?

/ Mushroom ID? #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
Looking for mushroom ID - my guess is scaly rustgill / fir flamecap (ie don't even think about eating it).
The specimen I picked is about 2" across.
The others range from 1¼" - 3½".
They're growing under pines with chip mulch.
Smells good, but I won't be tempted. Yet.

View attachment 725886

View attachment 725885

View attachment 725887

View attachment 725888

PXL_20211221_003042259.jpg

View attachment 725889

Last edited:
   / Mushroom ID? #2  
Looks like ones my wife had me pick. I think chatrells.

You have a pic in the underside? She might be able to identify if she saw that.

/ Mushroom ID?
Looks like ones my wife had me pick. I think chatrells.

You have a pic in the underside? She might be able to identify if she saw that.
I attached all of the pics at the same time but unfortunately there's something funky with the app that turns them into broken "see attachment" links (@admin - long-time issue!).

/ Mushroom ID? #4  
Hard ta tell from the pics but they don't look like chanterelles. Most chanterelles have a trumpet like shape or at least a strong indentation topside and decurrent false gills or "ridges".
There's an app that's "ok" for ID. Shroomify. Mushroom ID is a tricky thing. There's a lot more to it than just lookin at the color of the top. There's gills, false gills, ridges, pores and "teeth". Ya hafta see how the gills attach or don't attach. If it even has gills. Does it have a veil? Bulbous attachment at he base? May also be a polypore. But those mostly grow on trees. Boletes have a spongy reproductive surface with pores. Then if it looks right ya still need ta do a spore print. Yadda, yadda.
..I've got a pile of books as I've been fiddlin with a lil mycology for about a year now. But they're targeted at the NC and Southeast areas in particular. After a year I can prolly comfortably ID mebbe 5 or 6 edibles I'd take home and several others I know to just leave in the woods. There's also a few I'll kick if I come across'em in the woods. Red russulas and those danged Destroying Angels we're plagued with.
..One thing for sure.. Never munch onna hunch.. :cool:

/ Mushroom ID?
Hard ta tell from the pics but they don't look like chanterelles. Most chanterelles have a trumpet like shape or at least a strong indentation topside and decurrent false gills or "ridges".
There's an app that's "ok" for ID. Shroomify. Mushroom ID is a tricky thing. There's a lot more to it than just lookin at the color of the top. There's gills, false gills, ridges, pores and "teeth". Ya hafta see how the gills attach or don't attach. If it even has gills. Does it have a veil? Bulbous attachment at he base? May also be a polypore. But those mostly grow on trees. Boletes have a spongy reproductive surface with pores. Then if it looks right ya still need ta do a spore print. Yadda, yadda.
..I've got a pile of books as I've been fiddlin with a lil mycology for about a year now. But they're targeted at the NC and Southeast areas in particular. After a year I can prolly comfortably ID mebbe 5 or 6 edibles I'd take home and several others I know to just leave in the woods. There's also a few I'll kick if I come across'em in the woods. Red russulas and those danged Destroying Angels we're plagued with.
..One thing for sure.. Never munch onna hunch.. :cool:
They're definitely not chanterelles - that's IMO the easiest mushroom to identify and I'm pretty sure I can do that perfectly (trumpet shape, primitive forking gills that proceed down the stem, and no difference between cap and stem).

/ Mushroom ID? #6  
No, those are not chantrelles. When it comes to mushrooms, if you aren't definitely, positively sure don't eat them. There are a few which I am sure of the ID enough to eat including chantrelles, and several others which I know are OK but still don't pick, but only know of one rule of thumb to ensure they are safe- If they come in a can, you should be good.

/ Mushroom ID? #7  
I think the easiest mushrooms to identify in the wild are morels. Several years ago a bunch of them showed up around our fire ring. I convinced my wife that they were edible. I made a sauce with them. Cream, onions, butter, salt, and pepper. And the morels. I put them on steaks. My wife wanted to pick the pan. Really. She scraped every last bit of sauce from the pan. No surprise, morels are my favorite. Since then my wife has gotten bold about picking mushrooms. She recently gathered over 20 pounds of chanterells. I know, 20 pounds! Our deep freeze has lotsa mushrooms. We also, a couple months ago, gathered about 3 pounds of Chicken of the Woods fungus growing on an alder tree. I think we will be getting more from the same tree. My wife is now quite enthusiastic about collecting mushrooms. We keep coming upon puffballs that are half eaten so we need to look more often and put some chicken wire over them so whatever is eating them won't be able to get to them.
Eric

/ Mushroom ID?
I think the easiest mushrooms to identify in the wild are morels. Several years ago a bunch of them showed up around our fire ring. I convinced my wife that they were edible. I made a sauce with them. Cream, onions, butter, salt, and pepper. And the morels. I put them on steaks. My wife wanted to pick the pan. Really. She scraped every last bit of sauce from the pan. No surprise, morels are my favorite. Since then my wife has gotten bold about picking mushrooms. She recently gathered over 20 pounds of chanterells. I know, 20 pounds! Our deep freeze has lotsa mushrooms. We also, a couple months ago, gathered about 3 pounds of Chicken of the Woods fungus growing on an alder tree. I think we will be getting more from the same tree. My wife is now quite enthusiastic about collecting mushrooms. We keep coming upon puffballs that are half eaten so we need to look more often and put some chicken wire over them so whatever is eating them won't be able to get to them.
Eric
Actually I agree - pretty unmistakable! We found some growing on some strange looking roots on rocks in a mountain river once; I'd never had them so we took a few and sauteed them, delicious!

/ Mushroom ID? #9  
The book 'Mushrooms Demystified' by David Aurora is the NorCal Bible of mushroom identification.
Even if you don't want to eat your finds, it's fun to hunt them out and identify just for fun.
This is a good haul of Morels from a few years back.
Patrick

MtMorel 441.JPGMtMorel 443.JPG

/ Mushroom ID? #10  
When it comes to mushrooms, if you aren't definitely, positively sure don't eat them.
If I knew absolutely, positively for certain they'd result in the ultimate, that would be one thing. But too many of these will just screw you up bad, blind you or rot your brain and turn you into one of them. That is not an acceptable outcome.