mx fuel filter

/ mx fuel filter #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
My mx5800 is 1 year old, I think the 5200 and the 5400 have the same engine, just different turbo?

This is probably old news but if it saves a little heartburn.....

The fuel filter looks to me like a regular oil filter and of the 8 other factory installed OEM kubota filters ive removed in the last 6 months, this was the only one that came off with normal force.

I took the old filter off and didn't spill much at all. Put the new filter on. Probably should have filled it with fuel but I didn't.

Tractor wouldn't start. I cracked the 10 mm bolt on top to purge the air and again, no start.

You have to turn the bolt a turn or two then, in my case, leave the ignition on for about 1.5 minutes.

After that it cranked a little more than normal but alls well now.

4609A585-A526-4127-A20A-801EB8CA0573.jpeg

/ mx fuel filter #2  
When I replaced the fuel filter on my L4060 the procedure was the same. I only left the key on for 30 seconds the first time because the fuel flow seemed to be 100% fuel from the vent, but it wouldn't start. 1 minute was the magic number.
FYI, the fuel filter should never be prefilled.

/ mx fuel filter #3  
So my MX5800 is from 2015, don’t think the 2403 engine has changed too much...

My fuel vent valve is right on top of the fuel filter. Loosen it until you get the hiss, tighten when it gives some fluid, done.

/ mx fuel filter
When I replaced the fuel filter on my L4060 the procedure was the same. I only left the key on for 30 seconds the first time because the fuel flow seemed to be 100% fuel from the vent, but it wouldn't start. 1 minute was the magic number.
FYI, the fuel filter should never be prefilled.

Funny, ask a few different people and get a few different answers. I did have a couple folks tell me to fill the new filter before reinstalling but it was a PITA to go get the fuel so, i didn't. I'm just curious, why wouldn't you pre fill the filter?

Different story but similar. I have walls in 3 bathrooms that must be tiled very soon. I've tiled a bunch of times but i'm slow and not very good at it. I'm going to hire out the tile setting but I decided to put up the backer board myself.

There is a small vertical flange around the top of the tubs and a much taller flange/lip along the top of the shower base. The question was, do you take the backer board to the top of the lip or overlap the lip.

If you go on u tube you will see both solutions and i've asked 4-5 tile guys here. Some say over the lip, some say mount it on top of the lip. Always very confident in their answer.

Again, ask 2 different guys the same question, good chance you get 2 different answers.

/ mx fuel filter #5  
Funny, ask a few different people and get a few different answers. I did have a couple folks tell me to fill the new filter before reinstalling but it was a PITA to go get the fuel so, i didn't. I'm just curious, why wouldn't you pre fill the filter?

I know some people pre fill fuel filters, and there is plenty of contradictory information on the internet.
The major filter manufacturers that I am aware of do not recommend pre filling. When they do discuss pre filling, it is almost invariably specifically primary filters when there is a secondary filter downstream.
Anyway, just my semi educated opinion. I don't take the chance, particularly on modern high pressure common rail engines. My L4060 and your MX bleed easy enough to just let the electric lift pump push fuel through the filter.

/ mx fuel filter #6  
I always prefill but with straight out of the bottle power service white or silver, and never pour it down the center hole/ 25 years of doing this on 3 diesel trucks and skidsteers and never a problem. Ive installed a few tubs and shower bases and have always gone over the lip

/ mx fuel filter #7  
Pre-filling defeats the purpose of the filter. And yes, that little amount of unfiltered fuel can damage a system. On one particular engine, fuel system tweaked to get the best fuel economy possible, we modified the design to include the final fuel filter ( out of 3) installed upside down to avoid the damage customers were creating by pre-filling filters.