MX4700DT nasty, expensive noises

/ MX4700DT nasty, expensive noises #41  
One thing I never buy is oem tie rod ends, always aftermarket. OEM ends have no grease fittings and are super expensive. Aftermarket are cheaper and come with grease fittings.

The M59 doesn't have a grease fitting there either. I use a grease needle on mine, and so far it is tight (1100 hrs).

Kubota's construction TLBs all use the same front axles and steering that the similar HP Ag tractors do. It's nice that they think it is strong enough for a machine that is designed for heavy FEL use.
rScotty

/ MX4700DT nasty, expensive noises #42  
Next door neighbor has an MX4700DT which he uses hard.

(He also hasn't read the sig line here about taking time to maintain your equipment or your equipment will make time for you to maintain it.)

Mike/Florida

Tractors that are used hard with minimal maintenance are interesting. They are like a time machine for rapidly showing up weaker points in the design - and everymachine has a weakness. If he breaks something, I'm going to pay attention.

Mike wrote, "He (the neighbor) replaced the front coupling and front drive shaft, an oil seal in the bell housing and the utterly worn out tie rod ends (and that expensive microswitch). He did disassemble and look at the front drive axles, some bearings and checked the front differential, and they are all fine. The steering components, as MHarryE mentioned above, were very dry and the seals were shot (replaced)."

Mike, that is great information for all of us with M series Kubotas in the 45 to 65 hp size.
Thanks for doing the play by play.
rScotty

/ MX4700DT nasty, expensive noises #43  
Tractors that are used hard with minimal maintenance are interesting. They are like a time machine for rapidly showing up weaker points in the design - and everymachine has a weakness. If he breaks something, I'm going to pay attention.

Mike wrote, "He (the neighbor) replaced the front coupling and front drive shaft, an oil seal in the bell housing and the utterly worn out tie rod ends (and that expensive microswitch). He did disassemble and look at the front drive axles, some bearings and checked the front differential, and they are all fine. The steering components, as MHarryE mentioned above, were very dry and the seals were shot (replaced)."

Mike, that is great information for all of us with M series Kubotas in the 45 to 65 hp size.
Thanks for doing the play by play.
rScotty

I have tried to reread the posts but am not sure where these micro switches are that you speak of. I am getting older so please bear with me. Could you please clarify?

/ MX4700DT nasty, expensive noises
I have tried to reread the posts but am not sure where these micro switches are that you speak of. I am getting older so please bear with me. Could you please clarify?

He replaced only one microswitch, and I think it involved the PTO safety lockout. It was damaged during the disassembly of the tractor, it didn't wear out or fail unexpectedly. He cracked the plastic case. I am not sure of the physical location on the tractor.

Sorry not to be of more help on this right now, he was chasing bigger issues. I will, however, ask him the next time I see him (likely in the next day or two), hey which microswitch was it you changed?

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ MX4700DT nasty, expensive noises
Final update - the microswitch he replaced was a lockout to prevent starting the engine while the tractor was in gear. He says he broke it himself in taking the tractor apart. They are pretty fragile, so we can't blame him too much for this.

He's out happily mowing now ;-)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ MX4700DT nasty, expensive noises #46  
Final update - the microswitch he replaced was a lockout to prevent starting the engine while the tractor was in gear. He says he broke it himself in taking the tractor apart. They are pretty fragile, so we can't blame him too much for this.

He's out happily mowing now ;-)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear he got it all resolved without too much expense!!