MX4800 and LP RCF2772 cutter. Is it enough HP?

/ MX4800 and LP RCF2772 cutter. Is it enough HP? #1  

GTT99

Tractor
Kubota MX4800 4WD
Newbie here... first time to own a tractor and/or any implements. Just purchased a lightly used 2017 Kubota MX4800 4WD & FEL with 450 hours on it. Separately bought a Land Pride RCF2772 rotary cutter that weighs 1072lbs. Is MX4800 strong enough for such a heavy cutter (6') or should I upgrade before I put any more hours on the tractor? My dealer has a Kubota M5660SU 4WD with FEL and only 13 hours on it.

I have about 13 acres of flat pasture land to cut and every so often move round hay bales. Main concern is:does my tractor has enough power for the cutter? Don't want to get bogged down every 5 minutes while cutting. My location is outside of the Dallas area.

Need your expertise please!

/ MX4800 and LP RCF2772 cutter. Is it enough HP? #2  
According to Landpride, your tractor will do just fine.

/ MX4800 and LP RCF2772 cutter. Is it enough HP?
According to Landpride, your tractor will do just fine.

Thank you! I looked at the specs for the cutter and the spec sheet says I need an M series for RCF2772. This is why I'm concerned if MX4800 is enough of a tractor.

Last edited:
   / MX4800 and LP RCF2772 cutter. Is it enough HP? #6  
I believe the MX is considered a utility tractor. I don't foresee any problems.

/ MX4800 and LP RCF2772 cutter. Is it enough HP? #7  
Newbie here... first time to own a tractor and/or any implements. Just purchased a lightly used 2017 Kubota MX4800 4WD & FEL with 450 hours on it. Separately bought a Land Pride RCF2772 rotary cutter that weighs 1072lbs. Is MX4800 strong enough for such a heavy cutter (6') or should I upgrade before I put any more hours on the tractor? My dealer has a Kubota M5660SU 4WD with FEL and only 13 hours on it.

I have about 13 acres of flat pasture land to cut and every so often move round hay bales. Main concern is:does my tractor has enough power for the cutter? Don't want to get bogged down every 5 minutes while cutting. My location is outside of the Dallas area.

Need your expertise please!
No problem at all. All MX tractor models have the same lift capacity. And 48hp (40 pto hp?) is plenty to run a 6’ cutter. The rule of thumb is 5 pto hp per foot of cutter, so 30 pto hp should run a 6’ cutter. My MX6000 doesn’t even struggle with my 6’ cutter.

/ MX4800 and LP RCF2772 cutter. Is it enough HP? #8  
I'll be the 3rd to say you have NO PROBLEM using the 6ft rotary cutter on the MX4800 no matter what puzzles you find in the literature.
I used a JD 48hp tractor comparable to the MX4800 for 10 years, frequently on steep ground, rarely on level ground, cutting weeds tractor high, tall grass , many varieties of brush, etc. Not an issue.

You may have more trouble moving large round bales around. Check the weight of those bales and your FEL specs. I'd bet your MX4800 is more challenged trying to move large round bales around than it is cutting with a 6ft rotary cutter.

That M5660SU with 13hrs on it will cost you big time compared to what one assumes you must have gotten the MX4800 for having 450 hrs on it. That 450 hr is a great sweet spot to buy a tractor at rather than new, assuming you got a reasonable deal on it.
I recommend that you figure out all the CERTAIN things you will be doing with the tractor and then the OTHER things you may want to do with it in the life of it before you go buying too many things.

By the way: YouTube videos are a super way to learn about tractors and implements and just about any aspects of them. Just do a search on the LA1065 loader for example and watch one of the many videos on testing and using it. These are incredibly diverse and informative. The most 'famous' regarding Kubota are those from Messicks. You can spend a lot of time watching those as a new user and not be wasting time at all. Regarding the tractor itself, the loaders, the implements, essentially everything.

I'll be the 3rd to say you have NO PROBLEM using the 6ft rotary cutter on the MX4800 no matter what puzzles you find in the literature.
I used a JD 48hp tractor comparable to the MX4800 for 10 years, frequently on steep ground, rarely on level ground, cutting weeds tractor high, tall grass , many varieties of brush, etc. Not an issue.

You may have more trouble moving large round bales around. Check the weight of those bales and your FEL specs. I'd bet your MX4800 is more challenged trying to move large round bales around than it is cutting with a 6ft rotary cutter.

That M5660SU with 13hrs on it will cost you big time compared to what one assumes you must have gotten the MX4800 for having 450 hrs on it. That 450 hr is a great sweet spot to buy a tractor at rather than new, assuming you got a reasonable deal on it.
I recommend that you figure out all the CERTAIN things you will be doing with the tractor and then the OTHER things you may want to do with it in the life of it before you go buying too many things.

By the way: YouTube videos are a super way to learn about tractors and implements and just about any aspects of them. Just do a search on the LA1065 loader for example and watch one of the many videos on testing and using it. These are incredibly diverse and informative. The most 'famous' regarding Kubota are those from Messicks. You can spend a lot of time watching those as a new user and not be wasting time at all. Regarding the tractor itself, the loaders, the implements, essentially everything.
Thank you for the assurance. I got my MX4800 for $25000, the dealer wants $35000 for M5660. I can cover the $10,000 difference if the M-series tractor will make a difference in pulling the mower.

It's a life-time purchase for me, meaning I won't be swapping tractors every 3 years. I don't mind spending extra 10 grand if I HAVE to, Now, if MX4800 will do the jobs pulling a 1072lbs mower, I'm good with it. Just needed the input of those who have the experience.

/ MX4800 and LP RCF2772 cutter. Is it enough HP? #10  
Thank you for the assurance. I got my MX4800 for $25000, the dealer wants $35000 for M5660. I can cover the $10,000 difference if the M-series tractor will make a difference in pulling the mower.

It's a life-time purchase for me, meaning I won't be swapping tractors every 3 years. I don't mind spending extra 10 grand if I HAVE to, Now, if MX4800 will do the jobs pulling a 1072lbs mower, I'm good with it. Just needed the input of those who have the experience.
JWR’s response was spot on. You have your answer.