Oil & Fuel MX5100 oil change

/ MX5100 oil change #11  
Don't start over! You can slowly take the plug out and hang on to it. Just pop it off slowly and drain some then pop it back in. Oil is expensive!

Had to drain about a half qt before.

Ymmv.

J

/ MX5100 oil change #12  
Mine spends most of its life in the woods, swerving through (and over) stumps and heavy slash and I figured 2 oil pans are better than 1 if one is ever pierced , pried open or something and I dont notice the damage right away...theres still some oil flowing for a time with a 2nd pan

/ MX5100 oil change #13  
Im guessing you have a 4x2 - on my 4x4 the shaft goes right down the middle of the pan as mentioned. With the fresh oil you need good lighting to see the level on the dip stick! Also remember to check your front diff as they are know to be a bit low on oil (mine was when it came from the dealer)

/ MX5100 oil change #14  
My B3200 has 2 oil pan drain plugs also. I was surprised how much came out of the other side after I drained the first side. The manual shows "oil plug" but states "oil plugs" further down the page. Dip stick is kinda hard to read but when you finally see it, it makes sense.

I know this isn't the right thread but.... when I check my trans fluid it comes out dry. When I plug it back in, it shows fluid. My neighbor said his B3300 does the same thing. What's up with that?

/ MX5100 oil change
Well, I got 'er done. Turns out there was only about a quart too much in it. Refilled it with the exact amount it calls for, and guess what----still above the full mark by about 1/2 inch. I'm just gonna call it good, and go on about my business. Or maybe, just not stick the dipstick quite all the way in. Eureka!! Right on the money now!

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

/ MX5100 oil change #17  
Well, I got 'er done. Turns out there was only about a quart too much in it. Refilled it with the exact amount it calls for, and guess what----still above the full mark by about 1/2 inch. I'm just gonna call it good, and go on about my business. Or maybe, just not stick the dipstick quite all the way in. Eureka!! Right on the money now!

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

You have to remember that the oil specification is for a "dry" engine, in other words NO oil in it. When you do a drain (with both plugs by the way:)) all of the oil never comes out. There is always some oil trapped inside the passageways. So the best method is to put slightly less than the manual calls for, then run the engine to let the new filter fill up. Let it set for a minute or two and "stick it" to see how much more to top off. In other words, work from a slightly low condition and add oil until full.

James K0UA

/ MX5100 oil change #18  
We have learned long ago to go with the protocol used by James k0ua, I have left the plugs out for an hour or more and all the oil never comes out and never takes what's called for in the manual, I would rather be a bit low than a bit high.

/ MX5100 oil change #19  
I wouldn't run it with the oil a half inch above the full mark.

/ MX5100 oil change #20  
Yep - 1/2 in is pretty high, may want to drain a little more out. Did you fill the oil filter at all (I personally do - makes me feel a little better but never seen hard proof it really causes any issues if you don't.) The filter will "suck" up a little of the extra oil if it is empty. Good luck