MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important?

/ MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important? #1  

hoffmtc

Tractor
Kubota L4310 HST 4WD
Not in a huge hurry to buy something, but I'll need something come spring time for new/used tractor. I've been searching for a MX-series to pop up locally, and today a NICE looking MX5200 came up for sale. Has 126 hours on it. The person selling it is not the original owner, I guess someone got in trouble financially and this guy swooped in and bought it, and now reselling. I mention that because the seller does not know the history of maintenance.

I can see the engine oil filter has been changed, but the hydraulic filter is still the original factory. HST filter is factory as well.

The Kubuta manual says those MUST be completed at the initial 50 hour mark, and now it is 125 hours and still original. How big of a deal is that to you when buying used?
I suppose buying a tractor with several hundred hours on it you'd never know when the original was finally changed... but that bothers me.
If they neglected important initial maintenance, makes me pause about how they treat their equipment.

Last edited:
   / MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important? #2  
Re: MX5200 initial hyd fluid change?

You sure about the change interval in the MX? I thought Kubota had extended the initial change interval by quite a bit when they went from UDT to synthetic fluid.

/ MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important?

Just looked at the MX4800/5200/5800 manual online, initial change is 'MUST BE' completed at 50 hours.
The little dual-circle indication is the 'must be completed' designation.
5200.jpg

/ MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important? #4  
I'd be more concerned about the air filter condition.

Change the oil filters out and send some oil to Blackstone Labs if you're concerned.

/ MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important? #5  

Just looked at the MX4800/5200/5800 manual online, initial change is 'MUST BE' completed at 50 hours.
The little dual-circle indication is the 'must be completed' designation.
View attachment 631841

Thread title is "fluid"...manual only states that the filter "must" be changed. It doesn't say the fluid should be changed.

/ MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important? #6  
Line #17 in the manual states fluid change at 400 hours.

/ MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important? #7  
I changed my MX5800 filter at ~50hrs. No fluid needed, as stated above.

Filter definitely needed change due to break in debris but I doubt this would be a concern at 126hrs. Never hurts to call your local Kubota dealer (or stop in) and pick their brain. They might have sold the machine and have some record on it.

/ MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important? #9  
What I thought, fluid (hydraulic) change at 400. FILTER (S) change at 50. I knew Kubota changed the interval when they went to SUDT.

Well I've been confused on it, my new 5200 has 70 hours on it and now I think I know what needs to be done. I thought for a while that Kubota wanted a full hydraulic oil change at 50, and I wasn't going to do it, because that is ridiculous. I'm glad this thread made me look at it harder.

/ MX5200 initial hyd fluid change, how important?
Sorry, yes my mistake, it should have read FILTER change, not fluid in the title.
It worries me that a simple maintenance aspect was disregarded on a new tractor.