MX5400: Help with options

/ MX5400: Help with options #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I'm going through the Kubota website and building my MX5400 with options. I decided to wait on the TopNTilt kit and not do the draft control or the bolt on cutting edge (I will get through Everything Attachments).

Biggest question is should I go for 2 or 3 rear remotes?

Here is how the Kubota sight list the remotes:

1) 1ST POS LEVER KIT MX5400/MX6000 ROPS (MX6881)
2) PLUS 3RD POSITION VALVE KIT (MX6881 & MX6882 & MX6883 & L8303(2))
3) PLUS 2ND POSITION VALVE KIT (MX6881 & MX6882 & L8303)

Option 1 is POS lever kit ($512) and 1 Double Acting Valve ($244) = Total $756
Option 2 is 1ST POS LEVER KIT ($512.00), 2ND POS LEVER KIT ($253.00), 3RD POS LEVER KIT ($253.00), DOUBLE ACTING VALVE ($488.00), FLOAT DETENT VALVE SECTION ($307.00) = Total $1813
Option 3 is 1ST POS LEVER KIT ($512.00), 2ND POS LEVER KIT ($253.00), DOUBLE ACTING VALVE ($244.00), FLOAT DETENT VALVE SECTION ($307.00) = Total $1317

So is Option 1 mean one remote, Option 2 mean three remotes and Option 3 mean two remotes?

Also what have you recently paid to have Kubota install a 3rd Function? 2 years ago I was charged $1200.

I'm electing to get the heavy duty round back bucket but don't if its worth the extra $400 over the light duty?

Thanks in advance.

/ MX5400: Help with options #2  
Most people that think they want draft control don't need it, don't know how to use it or both.
#2 remote should be a detented float section if you have more than one remote. If you want 3 remotes get them at the time of the tractor purchase, in fact get whatever configuration you want priced and committed at that time.

Dealers handle option installation costs differently and may differ between initial purchase and after the initial sale. Any specific answer you get here is speculation or simply someone else's experience that means little or nothing to your circumstances.

/ MX5400: Help with options #3  
I have 2 rear remotes and that works for me, but a 3rd would never hurt.

As for the HD bucket - yes. Have used mine for years and in some HD uses and it is in perfect shape, I believed it is worth the extra money.

/ MX5400: Help with options #4  
I'm going through the Kubota website and building my MX5400 with options. I decided to wait on the TopNTilt kit and not do the draft control or the bolt on cutting edge (I will get through Everything Attachments).

Biggest question is should I go for 2 or 3 rear remotes?

Here is how the Kubota sight list the remotes:

1) 1ST POS LEVER KIT MX5400/MX6000 ROPS (MX6881)
2) PLUS 3RD POSITION VALVE KIT (MX6881 & MX6882 & MX6883 & L8303(2))
3) PLUS 2ND POSITION VALVE KIT (MX6881 & MX6882 & L8303)

Option 1 is POS lever kit ($512) and 1 Double Acting Valve ($244) = Total $756
Option 2 is 1ST POS LEVER KIT ($512.00), 2ND POS LEVER KIT ($253.00), 3RD POS LEVER KIT ($253.00), DOUBLE ACTING VALVE ($488.00), FLOAT DETENT VALVE SECTION ($307.00) = Total $1813
Option 3 is 1ST POS LEVER KIT ($512.00), 2ND POS LEVER KIT ($253.00), DOUBLE ACTING VALVE ($244.00), FLOAT DETENT VALVE SECTION ($307.00) = Total $1317

So is Option 1 mean one remote, Option 2 mean three remotes and Option 3 mean two remotes?

Also what have you recently paid to have Kubota install a 3rd Function? 2 years ago I was charged $1200.

I'm electing to get the heavy duty round back bucket but don't if its worth the extra $400 over the light duty?

Thanks in advance.

Do the 3rd function & 2 or 3 rear remotes.

I’d suggest 3.

What’s the price difference between the 5400 & 7060?

My M7060HD-12 can run skid steer attachments due to the HD pump @
16.5 gpm.

/ MX5400: Help with options
Do the 3rd function & 2 or 3 rear remotes.

I’d suggest 3.

What’s the price difference between the 5400 & 7060?

My M7060HD-12 can run skid steer attachments due to the HD pump @
16.5 gpm.

M7060-12 would be $8K more.

/ MX5400: Help with options #6  
Some good suggestions here. One of the better ones - get everything you will need/want on the tractor at the time of purchase. I have one rear remote on my M6040. It runs the hydraulic top link. Would I want/need a second or third rear remote - NO. I have no implements requiring these additions. I angle, offset my HD Rhino rear blade manually. I control the tilt with the hydraulic top link.

/ MX5400: Help with options #7  
If you want top n tilt you will need one remote for each, and you don't need a detent for those. I would add a third to run other equipment, for example I have a post pounder that I use the third remote for, and that one you want a detent on because you want to maintain pressure to the pounder, it would be similar for a log splitter for example. So I'd get 3 remotes, one with detent and 2 without. I chose to add my own remotes, it will probably cost you a third to a half of what the dealer will charge you if you buy third party valves and install it yourself. In addition to saving money, you can probably do a better job laying it out the way you like it.

Regarding the heavy duty bucket, I would vote for the light duty to save the weight and give you more net lifting capacity. Unless you're a contractor working with big rocks or welding on a lot of chain hooks and lifting heavy stuff, I don't think it's necessary. And you save some money. Regarding the toothbar, I have a bolt on and discovered my tractor has nowhere near enough weight or power to do anything useful with it. Your tractor is a lot bigger, but still not like a skid steer. If you really plan to do a lot of excavating that requires a toothbar, you probably would be better off renting a skid steer.

/ MX5400: Help with options #8  
I'm going through the Kubota website and building my MX5400 with options.

1) I decided to wait on the bolt on cutting edge.

2) I'm electing to get the L2296 heavy duty round back bucket but don't if its worth the extra $400 over the light duty?

1) If you option the L2296 HD RB bucket you do not need a reinforcing cutting edge.

A "digging" (Piranha style) tooth bar or Bucket Spade are both worth consideration. Neither will fit properly over a reinforcing cutting edge.

2) The H-D R-B bucket is an excellent option. Shape and weight make it superior for back-drag dirt smoothing with bucket.
L2296 includes SSQA coupling on bucket + FEL, which you do not get with standard bucket.
L2296 makes an extremely rigid base for mounting a Bucket Solution's (brand) Bucket Spade.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth. ~ ~ What are you considering for rear wheel/tire ballast?

Last edited:
   / MX5400: Help with options #9  

I purchased a new MX5400 a year ago and a 3rd function: "New Landpride model 380-331A 3rd aux hydraulic function valve" $895. There were no other lineitems for labor or anything, it was just part of the package I purchased.

On buckets, I bought the L2296 72" HD Bucket w/TL1748 bolt on edge. Don't have a lineitem on that it's mixed in with the FEL and other options.
Technically I probably didn't need it, but like the tractor, I bought a level above expected need. I knew I'd be doing gravel work among other things.
I was no doubt also motivated by seeing my neighbors sad small tractor with a completely bowed bucket, no doubt motivating my wallet to spend on something ... stout!

Coincidentally I just used my bucket minutes ago to break a 7" dead tree across my driveway, so... no regrets. :)
(The tree was in the snow, I was in a hurry, the ground was very icy, I took the quick and expedient option so my wife could get past the tree, vs. pulling out the chain saw which I have no place to carry on my tractor...)

[Update]
Re: 3rd function. 3rd function == grapple == so much goodness, at least if you have trees like I do.

/ MX5400: Help with options #10  
If you want top n tilt you will need one remote for each, and you don't need a detent for those. I would add a third to run other equipment, for example I have a post pounder that I use the third remote for, and that one you want a detent on because you want to maintain pressure to the pounder, it would be similar for a log splitter for example. So I'd get 3 remotes, one with detent and 2 without. I chose to add my own remotes, it will probably cost you a third to a half of what the dealer will charge you if you buy third party valves and install it yourself. In addition to saving money, you can probably do a better job laying it out the way you like it.

Regarding the heavy duty bucket, I would vote for the light duty to save the weight and give you more net lifting capacity. Unless you're a contractor working with big rocks or welding on a lot of chain hooks and lifting heavy stuff, I don't think it's necessary. And you save some money. Regarding the toothbar, I have a bolt on and discovered my tractor has nowhere near enough weight or power to do anything useful with it. Your tractor is a lot bigger, but still not like a skid steer. If you really plan to do a lot of excavating that requires a toothbar, you probably would be better off renting a skid steer.

The detented valve discussed is the OEM valve having a detented float position. The raise/lower positions are self centering, not detented. There are many top & tilt users that report advantages to a hydraulic top link operated by a valve having a float position.